What is YOUR Holy Grail?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of things on my most wanted list, but some that immediately come to mind are a colonial or large denomination 19th gold coin, any 1790s US silver, a whole colonial black glass bottle with monogrammed seal, or a whole tree coin (already have a cut piece from one). But more than likely my holy grail find will probably be one that I'm not expecting, or even thinking of, like the Lord Baltimore sixpence I recovered back in Oct. I had never even thought of digging one of those, and boom there it was. Needless to say, I love surprises. But the most satisfying aspect of making an incredible find isn't in the find itself, but in the fact that you did the research, got permission, knew where and how to hunt the site, and then came away with the big prize. That's what it's all about for me.

How right you are my friend. It's usually a big surprise. Like you said, I'm sure a Lord Baltimore coin would never even cross your mind. Then bang you've got one and it's incredible. When I started detecting I said something about having a tree coin on my Goals list. I basically was told that I shouldn't even waste my time thinking about it because I would never find one. I don't really like being told that I can't or won't accomplish something. So I decided that I would find a Mass silver. I didn't care which one, cut or full, worn or with great detail. If it took me 28 years I would accomplish that goal. I may have raised the bar a bit too high when I replaced that top spot with a NE Shilling. But I promise you one thing. I will research and dig as many holes in that 17th century dirt as I possibly can. And as Bill said, you never know what might pop out of the hole. Maybe one of us will dig a disme or half disme this season. Maybe Don will dig his Brasher. Maybe Vino will get that chain cent. It's like Christmas morning every trip out. What a great hobby. It's even better than Christmas because we get to open a ton of presents and one of them could be worth $100,000 or more. Over 7 million in Dons case. Good luck fellas! I enjoy seeing you guys dig incredible coins and relics almost as much as I enjoy digging them myself........almost lol

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would want to find the broken sword of Captain Robert Maynard from his epic fight with Blackbeard. I wonder what ever happened to that sword. Would Maynard have kept it even though it was broken? I'm betting he threw it away shortly after the battle.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be my next prize dug out of the ground, because you never know what it will be!
The field is equal for all MD'ers anyone can come up with any fantastic find!
If we had videos of the expressions of all the MD'ers when they find that long sought item that would be awesome! Priceless!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know we're only talking about MD'ing "Holy Grail" items.... But wouldn't it be great to find (however found) 3 1849-C $1.00 gold coins????????????????????????????????????????? :occasion14: I can only dream.... :notworthy:

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My holy grail is a Connecticut copper . Not all that exciting to most but in my area of Pennsylvania the first settlers were from Connecticut which sparked a "war" between PA and CT from 1769 -1799.

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grail would probably be the finds in Vermont I made

View attachment 1126609 View attachment 1126610

Both are Henry IV era troves for New France and delivered by Champlain I believe.

One is the Masonic Vault, and the other appears to be Templar of nature of some sort. I am guessing this is the final resting place of something extremely majestic

My other discoveries are the Horse of God, and Swan of Avon carved in Nova Scotia, along with markings depicting the lost Menorah from the Temple of Jerusalem, buried near the Tomb of Jesus and Mary, along with the old texts of the Bible that were compiled by the Rosicrucians and the Medici Family

Surely a legendary discovery of epochal proportions, bringing a tear to my eye so many nights waiting for this spring. I cant wait to sip from this cup !

View attachment 1126620 View attachment 1126621 View attachment 1126622 View attachment 1126623 View attachment 1126624

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you could find anything you wanted, what would it be? I know many people will say something like a horde of gold coins or something else valuable, but I'm more talking about one item or one coin - that you haven't yet found - that you've always wanted to find that would always stand up as your greatest find ever.

For me it would be a 1937 Texas commemorative centennial silver 50 cent piece. Being a native Texan, I would love to find this coin, and I feel it has the most incredible design (a standing eagle in front of the Lone Star) of any US coin. I wonder how many of these coins are hiding in the ground.

Anyone else?

Ive posted this exact same statement before here in TNET... Although i dont hunt for coins, any of the Texas Centennial Halves would be more than welcome under my coil, haha.

~Tejaas~

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mine would be a Republic Of Texas button!

~Tejaas~

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Fabergé egg would be a good find.

OP
OP
C

Coinhawk

Feb 11, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any legitimate Republic of Texas stuff would be great. I read somewhere online that if you are hunting on public land in Texas, you can't pull anything out of the ground that is 100 years old or older. That still leaves private property though. :D

Mine would be a Republic Of Texas button!

~Tejaas~

OP
OP
C

Coinhawk

Feb 11, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My grail would probably be the finds in Vermont I made

View attachment 1126609 View attachment 1126610

Both are Henry IV era troves for New France and delivered by Champlain I believe.

One is the Masonic Vault, and the other appears to be Templar of nature of some sort. I am guessing this is the final resting place of something extremely majestic

My other discoveries are the Horse of God, and Swan of Avon carved in Nova Scotia, along with markings depicting the lost Menorah from the Temple of Jerusalem, buried near the Tomb of Jesus and Mary, along with the old texts of the Bible that were compiled by the Rosicrucians and the Medici Family

Surely a legendary discovery of epochal proportions, bringing a tear to my eye so many nights waiting for this spring. I cant wait to sip from this cup !

Good stuff! Have you been able to find out anything more about these locations? Done any digging? The martini glass and cross look intriquing to my untrained eye.

lonnie2004

Oct 29, 2008
A 1933 double eagle. Rumor has it there are 5/7 left in the world unaccounted for OR a a bag of 1921 double eagles that may be found in some Podunk countries bank vault.

JMFJ

Greenie
Dec 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love love love to find anything Andrew Jackson or Seminole Indian related. My land is virgin land I live south of Chipley North of Panama City. It is said Mrs Jones one of the founders of our community was killed between my house and the Natural spring 1.7 miles west of me. It's all state land to the west. It's the Ecofina Water management area Pitt springs. She fed a troop of Indians who were fighting President Jackson she gave them gravy with pepper it made them sick so she was killed they thought she poisoned them. Her exact land location is unknown but it's got to be here close because they kept their food cold it's a constant 52 degrees crystal clear. She had to ride horse to the "fridge" so something's from camps from 1812 war from Indians and Jacksons troops are here. Jackson camped here. You could find old gun parts whole guns. Who knows. I haven't excavated my land because I don't want to destroy any history. If anyone wants to search here or the creek at Pitt Springs. I have a winding creek too. Anything could be there. It's Fountain Florida where Ponce De Leon searched for the fountain of youth. The pitt spring is one of the ones he thought were it along with Morrison and Vortex. Marrianna caverns all within 15 miles of my house. I'm a scuba diver but I don't have a metal detector. Anyone who wants to search 10+ acres message me or get in touch with me. I found a horseshoe that's 100+ years old. It looks 1875-1900 era. And barbed wire collection to the last century. I found a box with a WWII pistol in it. I was digging to do work. I happened upon it. 4' down or do. Was a lockbox dated to 1950s. The pistol is 1944 shipped in April to the Navy. Anyone is welcome. I don't want thieves. The metal detector guys on TV the hunters I forget the show talked to me about a possibility of coming to work here. lvn_lisa at yahoo I can be reached.

fisher1

Sep 27, 2014
Oshawa on
Detector(s) used
1280 fisher, safari pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still looking for a 1927 silver nickel, got on but the other would finish my set. Using a safari, still learning it.

foreverRich

Mar 31, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
,GTA1000, Discovery3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having only been detecting 2 years my Holy Grail list is way to long to post here. But even a mercury dime, a IH penny, V nickel would make me happier than I can say. That is what keeps me going or anything I happen to find along the way.

Stick with it and you will be rewarded with those and more !!!

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
World Peace! Since it has never been found anywhere else. Just think, if we had world peace, you could detect anywhere in the world with proper permissions of course, and find your " Holy Grail! "

Mitch Dickson

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long long ago in a galaxy far far away, Bruce Shipton and I were detecting on the old Federal road, out in the boonies, close to Cheif Van's house in Chattsworth Ga. He hit a target and dug up a button. It was solid gold, and had a caudicus (you know the twin entwined snakes around a pole) on it. We figured it for a "doctor's button". We spent the next two years going to all the conventions and civil war swap meets trying to figure it out. We spent hours looking in all the books of memoribilia. Nothing. Then an old man asked if he could look at it. He grined and said "You ain't gonna find it in there son" "wrong war!". Turned out it was a revolutionary war doctors button from around Maine! He paid Bruce $5000 for it!!!! Now no telling what it was actually worth as he had to know he could turn a profit even to pay that much.

I always wanted to find another one of those :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread