Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The answers should be numerous. My bank will not take back coins unless you run them through their version of a coinstar machine. One of my banks costs 2%, the other 5%. Wallysmart is 9.8%.

I generally take small volumes to the 5% cost bank because it's close to where I work. Larger amounts I take to the 2% bank. When I'm tired of lugging around large numbers of pennies I just ditch them at Wallymart.

Small rolls or singles of halves I spend at face value. I have been very successful in teller trays, due to three individual scores in 2013. Most times I'd get 2 error pennies in $25 worth. Also Am averaging 1 silver dime in $100. My half boxes have been dismal. Best results were from individual rolls at the bank.

My saving grace is from work I'm only a quarter mile from the bank. So there is no gasoline or travel expense. I don't sell any coins. It's hard even for me to figure out how much the hobby has cost.

Because of the three individual scores (1 coin was worth $400), I'm in the black for 2013, and as a HOBBY, I don't really care about the math, because for me it's the chase that counts.

But what about you? As I said, I keep the finds, just for fun, but I know some of you are trying to make some additional income, which is great, so the answers will vary. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont and wont pay to dump- the day that happens is the day I either find an alternative dumping source(which ive searched already and there arent many options) or stop crhing- right now my pick up and dump banks are all with in 15 miles of my home so for the moment since im only doing my weekly 10 box halves and then ask for crw when im already out n about im not spending more than $10 a week in gas if that but my finds are very minimal- when I was doing 20+boxes of dimes a week ontop of the halves I was spending anywhere from $30-40 a week in gas-
I did pay a $5 per box pick up occasionally because that bank was less than a mile and I was scoring regularly but then they upped the price and I found additional banks to orelder for free so I stopped paying to order boxes

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were you finding much? Most of when I go to the bank it's for a banking reason, and I just pick up some rolls while I'm there. All my half box orders have been skunks. All of them. It's been the individual rolls that have been good.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't pay to dump! Find a national bank or regional credit union and make a special trip to dump.

If you have to use Coinstar, find one with more fee-free options than what Walmart has. If you use Coinstar in Walmart, your options are pretty much limited to Cash (minus the 9.8% fee) or fee-free food (Chili's, Applebee's, etc). That is because Walmart does not let any of its perceived competitors have any presence in their stores. If you go to a Coinstar in a grocery store, you can get Amazon, Sears (works at Kmart), Home Depot, JCPenny, Lowes, and many other options with NO FEE.

The whole list:
Aéropostale Amazon MP3® Amazon.com AMC Theatres® Applebee's Bass Pro Shops Build-A-Bear Workshops Chili's Cold Stone Creamery
Forever 21 GameStop Gap Options IHOP iTunes® JCPenney® Lowe's® Nike® Red Robin Regal Rixty Sears Sephora Southwest Airlines
Sports Authority Staples Starbucks The Home Depot Toys R Us® Xbox Live

If you have to dump at Walmart, get Applebee's gift cards with no fee and go out to eat and drink to celebrate your CRH finds.

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
After gas, short boxes, inaccurate accounting methods, an ocassional fee, doughnuts and chocolate for tellers, time spent, and time that should have been spent otherwise.... I'm easily paying 4X face for every 90%er...

But- it's cheaper than Prospecting, Fishing, Hunting and most of my other hobbies with respect to the same cost... Metal Detecting is probably the most costly by equipment expese alone and the finds are usually nill!
PEACE

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will not pay to dump. My dump bank gets 8% of the change dump from non-customers but I avoid that fee by having an account. Another bank I use charges 5% for non-members.
Like 1more4me said, the hobby of crh may seem profitable but all the profit is eaten up by the innacurate counting, doughnuts, chocolate and time spent.
I actually lose money doing crh but i love the thrill of the hunt. It would be cheaper for me to buy junk silver off of ebay but that's not how I roll.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Cost is very low for me. I have one pick up bank, which i do my normal banking at. Got to go there once a week anyway so thats when i pick up. Have one dump bank that i also go to one a week that is on my way to work. So basically no extra gas used. An hour or two to go thru my halves and 15 minutes to dump at a free coin counter. Pulled in just under 80 oz this year.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did forget the teller treats so add an additional $25 or so a month for those

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This works ,but in your case it might take a long time,find a soda machine that takes coins and dollars,after putting your coins in push coin return,and a dollar should come out instead of coins.This also works better if you mix those coins,quarters,dimes,nickels.

Will45

Sep 1, 2013
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to re-roll my coins

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Honestly I have no clue, and don't want to know. All I can say is ALL of my money goes into CRH, and by banks been going up, so I'll continue to hunt, its fun too! Who else can say they have a fun job they enjoy getting pay way better than minimum wage?!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know who these banks think they are... :BangHead: As far as I know they are in the business for currency exchange and they are dedicated by law to exchange your currencies no matter what is. Especially federal banks !! Please tell me if I'm wrong, someone should talk to a lawyer... :icon_scratch:

Keep @ it and HH !!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all. Or ya'll. I figure it costs me $50 per thousand $. Having done geez, I forget, let's say $6k, plus having bought some of those premium rolls on the net, (I know, I know), I've at least broke even. Probably better than even due to those two teller finds. I also have probably 30-40 good halves plus now some US error coins. Plus a few silver dimes. I can't complain. It's a cheap hobby.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
You pay 50 per 1000 searched!!!!!!!!!! I'd be brook in a few weeks haha

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya $50 per 1k is way to high in my book- id quit for sure and just go buy ag if I where paying that much

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But I'm getting more than $50 in silver and errors per thousand. I've got two key Peace dollars, about $500 worth. (teller), three more teller produced Peace dollars, five Morgans for $1 each from tellers and four in a junk box for free. Got about 8 Liberties, maybe 10 Franklins, 10 90%ers, and 30 40% ers. Found several 1995 double die Lincolns, about a dozen strike thru error coins, some $3 each Canadian pennies and some silver dimes. Truth be told I just put the keepers away and label the "good" ones, I never sell and don't have a totally accurate count. Found four Lincoln errors yesterday. Going to try to go blind on another box of Lincolns in the am as there is an ice storm coming. Joy.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correction - since most of the boxes were halves it cost about 1.5% to do them. $15 per thousand. I forgot I traded some of the halves for metal detectors and one bank took the rerolled halves back. The rest went to the 2% bank. That one other bank is a )&*&#U+H)&&#()*H#*). If you get my drift. The little stuff is what I've mainly paid extra to dump as I don't have the time to reroll pennies and dimes, and don't especially care to. So that was about $1k in pennies and dimes and cost about 6.5%. So it's a lot less than what I thought initially. After I broke down the numbers it made more sense. Plus I'm trying to remember a years' worth of dumps.

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My cost is gas but I run a part time business that burns through cash, so I am often at the bank and pick up what I want to CRH on those trips. So I would bet 10 dollars a month to dump my coins at another bank.

Cheers - Koffee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread