What kind of battery charger am I looking for?

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use a small 12V to 120V inverter and plug charger into that.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about using a cheap Power Bank ?

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about using a cheap Power Bank ?

Those are good for lithium, not so good for SLA.
Different charging profile.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A#1
The simplest and safest solution is an inverter and charger.
The power and current needs to be regulated to the proper changing profile for each specific type of battery.
It is possible to use you alternator, but your vehicle will have to be running to charge.
Here's a discussion about it:

https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thread-battery-bank-charging-from-alternator?pid=170114

Google: charging a battery bank with a car alternator
For more info on that.

I would not recommend trying this unless you have a good knowledge auto electronics.
One misplaced wire could cook you auto's computers or overcharge your SLA battery, both of which can lead to a very unpleasant experience.

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeh, this is just a temporary fix, until I'm better prepared to do things right. I'm also trying to accomplish this without buying too much that I won't use later.

I have a few loads in my truck that I run all night sometimes, and they're killing the start battery while I sleep......no good.

3 are cell phone chargers, I can move those to li-ion packs, but the other is a 12v, 1.5A load that I cant.

I have two 12v, 10ah SLA batteries that I use for my sluices. These should do the job, and I have an invertor in the truck would run a 120v charger. I was just hoping to do it with 12v......and have that charger left over after, for other reasons.

I guess I go with 120v

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have chargers for RC racing, they can hook up to my vehicle battery, one of the chargers I have has a lead acid mode, you could make a adapter and plug into you cig lighter, itll charge at 6 amps

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread