DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
001.JPG 002.JPG It just started coming around.Haven't noticed too many like it around here.He is a mean little sucker,wont let any other birds eat.chases them off.

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know, but it has a mean look about it. We call them hedge tits, some kind of sparrow?

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look like a sparrow,i am not sure how big sparrows can get, it is bigger then a average sparrow that I have seen around here.almost like the size of a small dove or somewhere around that size.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't even think about that,might have to change the he to a she.That might explain the aggressiveness too

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, from your description it's definitely not the blue-bird of happiness...

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that is a young mockingbird. They make a sound that I can describe as a shrill sheeeeesh! They are mean as hell especially if they have young. They will even attack hawks, cats or people. Remind me of honey badgers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, from your description it's definitely not the blue-bird of happiness...
I was thinking a small blue-bird at first site.As you can tell I don't know a whole lot about birds,but it doesn't seem to have the color of a blue-bird.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that is a young mockingbird. They make a sound that I can describe as a shrill sheeeeesh! They are mean as hell especially if they have young. They will even attack hawks, cats or people. Remind me of honey badgers.
I think you are right Pointman.That thing is mean.It keeps everything away from the feeder,even the bigger birds like the cardinals.It is not even scared of me,I can sit on the porch not even three yards from it and it will just sit up there and stare at me with those evil eyes.Pretty neat,are they a common bird?

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a very cold mockingbird!

~Tejaas~

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking a small blue-bird at first site.As you can tell I don't know a whole lot about birds,but it doesn't seem to have the color of a blue-bird.

Almost right, they are both in the same family of birds. I think Thrushes. I'm not a birdwatcher, but I have 25,000 acres of woods around my home and I live on 5 acres. I grew up bored and sat around looking at birds all day is all. Now my kids are bored if they don't constantly have the TV or on the phone.

They are very common around here.

Last edited:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could it be called a wern,or wren... something like that

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks a lot like an Eastern Phoebe.

JuddPatterson_EasternPhoebe_9203.jpg

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a cold bird to me.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice picture. Didn't Anne Murray sing a song about a bird like that ???

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the ones our cats bring to us as "gifts" and leave them sometimes headless on the steps

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if it is as I think --a young mocking bird ---they are in my point of view for their size one of the toughest birds around bar none -- I like them due to their toughness .. I have seen one slam into a red tailed hawk that was trying to eat its young from its nest --knocking the hawk off its perch by the nest then fly after it plucking out its tail feathers ---they will do the same to crows which are their mortal enemies (once enough tail feathers are plucked out a bird can't fly and once "grounded" they are easily killed by cats and other critters) ---if times are tough and food hard to comeby mockingbirds will defend their food sources from all comers ... get a few meal worms and you might be able to make friends with it ... oh BTW mocking birds love for folks to whistle tunes for them to try and copy - they have been known to attack cats by dive bombing them from behind and hitting their tails and will drive anything they think is a threat from their nesting areas --including humans..

as far as the it looks preggers goes its possible -- but in the cold --many birds fluff out their feathers trapping air within to warm up and to act a sort of thermal buffer --as a means of staying warm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it is as I think --a young mocking bird ---they are in my point of view for their size one of the toughest birds around bar none -- I like them due to their toughness .. I have seen one slam into a red tailed hawk that was trying to eat its young from its nest --knocking the hawk off its perch by the nest then fly after it plucking out its tail feathers ---they will do the same to crows which are their mortal enemies (once enough tail feathers are plucked out a bird can't fly and once "grounded" they are easily killed by cats and other critters) ---if times are tough and food hard to comeby mockingbirds will defend their food sources from all comers ... get a few meal worms and you might be able to make friends with it ... oh BTW mocking birds love for folks to whistle tunes for them to try and copy - they have been known to attack cats by dive bombing them from behind and hitting their tails and will drive anything they think is a threat from their nesting areas --including humans..

as far as the it looks preggers goes its possible -- but in the cold --many birds fluff out their feathers trapping air within to warm up and to act a sort of thermal buffer --as a means of staying warm.
thanks, that is very interesting!I think it is one of my favorite birds now after hearing all that about it.I can get quite close to it on its feeder. I say "it's feeder because nothing else is coming around:)I can get within about little more then a yard from it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions