What kind of coin counters?

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
I'm curious what kind of coin counters you all run across---not Coinstar, but the free ones the banks use. I've only seen two different kinds. One has a conveyor belt that runs continuously. You can dump all your change in at once, and it has a rather sleek, bowl-like design. The other kind has a thin metal slit to the left of the tray, kind of like a trap door, and the coins vibrate along into the hopper. There's also a little window so you can watch them sort. This one only allows for a handful of coins at a time.

Have you encountered these? Have you seen other ones?

Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2nd one you mentioned is the type I have found just recently....takes about 15 minutes to dump the rejects from 2 boxes. I am not sure of the name off it though.

I tested it for accuracy twice and it was exact both times. Gotta like that!

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
I've seen both - the bowl type is really fast and has no external reject box. It only holds $1000 at a time in bags.
The other type is only a counter and dumps all coins into one box. Even though they are slower, I like them better because it doesn't stop for bag changes. I have had a look in the box once when it got full and sure wish I could have bought it to go through. The total was $5,400 in all denominations.
I dumped some in the bowl machine last night and had to wait while they changed a bag. I looked at the halves in the bag (clear plastic) and noticed a lot of smaller, gold coins mixed in. They can't sell me bags from this bank or else I would be buying them. When I pointed out the gold coins, the girl started picking them out - they were the new Washington's. She picked out at least 20 while I watched. Possible glitch in the system?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fiatboy said:
I'm curious what kind of coin counters you all run across
There is only one that I know of in a 15 mile radius. But They wont let me see it. I only brought coins in one time and they took them to the back to count.

They said I could not go back there for "safety" reasons. (theirs or mine they would not say) It was quite loud, I could hear it through two walls.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread