what kind of depth on a M6/MXT?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not always about depth. Depth can vary a lot depending on proper set up, soil conditions from one day to the next, coil sizes and quality of the equipement. Generally you get about the dia of the coil on a coin sized target and whether it is a Double D coil or concentric.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
The-Bone,

Sandman is right, there are a lot of determining factors. I hunt with the M6, I love it to death. If I'm hunting in the woods (which I usually do), I tend to get a bit more depth because the woods aren't as trashy. I think my deepest coin was a Barber dime at about 9 inches, give or take. I also found a buffalo at nine inches in a trashy, worked-out park, but I consider that find a luck of the draw (I decided to dig the first half-decent deep signal, and it was really bad but happened to be a 1923 buff).

The M6 and MXT are both great choices! I chose the M6 because I primarily coin hunt and didn't need the other modes (relic, etc). Also, the M6 has 7 tones, which is phenominal.

Good luck!

Joe

Bill(de)

Feb 18, 2005
I agree that it's not all about depth. I have an M6 and my deepest ID coin was a 7" wheat penny using the 6"x10" Eclipse and hit a hightone mixed with trash. Once was testing 3 detectors at an older site. Two detectors were very good single tone 2 filter detectors with small coils and the trash was horrendous and i tried digging many many targets and found mostly junk. I cranked up the M6 using the 6"x10" Eclipse and began sweeping the area mostly out of frustration and within minutes i hit on a hightone resulting in a barber dime at 2" and shortly after that i hit an old bus token. It really depends on site conditions what may produce the best finds but i do feel the M6 is an outstanding coin hunter and not too bad on buttons and other relics. Lots of coil choices also. I choose coils based on site conditions and would recommend you have more than one.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Here near Minneapolis, MN, the ground varies. Around my suburban neighborhood, they ID coins pretty good to 4" & in about 1% of my soil 5"-7". Of course like most detectors, they can detect somewhat deeper than they can ID in mineralized ground. HH, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread