tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The morning last week I went to Wyoming I was as the sun rose putting stuff in my truck and I herd a very strange bird call. It was like cawkel-cawkel-cawkel-cawkel. It sounded like it was coming from up in my cottonwood tree, but then I herd it again and saw this quail looking birg on the neighbors garage. Its bigger than a Bob White or Chucker. This is simply an odd bird in my area.

Attachments

• P1130027.JPG
    P1130027.JPG
    706.2 KB · Views: 57

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure, but it looks like a ptarmigan to me.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ron and Smoky, I didn't check out a Chucker, because I see quite a few of what they call a chucker in northern Nevada and they don't look like this kind of upland bird, but more of a quail unless I'm unaware of what truly a Chucker is. Dang there's a new bird in town.

Last edited:

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The morning last week I went to Wyoming I was as the sun rose putting stuff in my truck and I herd a very strange bird call. It was like cawkel-cawkel-cawkel-cawkel. It sounded like it was coming from up in my cottonwood tree, but then I herd it again and saw this quail looking birg on the neighbors garage. Its bigger than a Bob White or Chucker. This is simply an odd bird in my area.

Definitely chucker delicious cooked with butter and garlic.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever now and then I'll see a or hear a pheasant in my area and now the first Chucker. I think it's possible they're escapees from a game farm 14 miles to the east of me. Though I did do a bit of reading on Colorado Chuckers and found the fish and game have been releasing Chuckers recently out on the north eastern front range. Upland & Waterfowl Hunting | Colorado Wingsport

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice photo, cool bird! :occasion14:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those wings look like a penguins Grant.:laughing7:

View attachment 1843651

GOD Bless

Chris
I read they don't generally fly and prefer to scurry on the ground. This one had to use it's wings to get up where it was. I think it was calling for others of its kind and it's probably the only one around for miles. Lost Chucker I'd say.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure, but it looks like a ptarmigan to me.

Okay, probably a Chukar... I couldn't see his orange legs! We have lots of them around here in northeastern Oregon. But, again in my defense, I'm not a bird hunter! :icon_scratch: :occasion14:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, probably a Chukar... I couldn't see his orange legs! We have lots of them around here in northeastern Oregon. But, again in my defense, I'm not a bird hunter! :icon_scratch: :occasion14:

We've got 'em down here in SE Oregon as well. A few years back I was doing utility locates and spotted one strolling down the street. I'm sure it was farm raised, as mentioned above.
The 'ol boys I worked with at the lumber mill used to make their yearly pilgrimage over to Winnemucca, NV. to hunt chukars...that was their story.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread