what kind of point?

allsmith

Jun 1, 2006
north cental ohio
my dad found this yrs ago while bottle dump hunting,,it was in an old crock in a dump.
dont now much about indian artifacts,,if fact not much at all,,,but was wondering ,,is it a knife or spear or... ?? probally never sell it,, but wondering what it my be worth.. and what flint it was made of..it was found in north central ohio..got a book on my town here it, says that the tribes nearby were the.. delaware,,wyandot,,mohawk,,erie,,iroquois,,algonquins,,shawnees... oh and what about a rough date... thanks very much in advance :)

Attachments

• Dscf0758.jpg
    Dscf0758.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 307
  • Dscf0759.jpg
    Dscf0759.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 312
Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allsmith,

It's a beauty, something to hold on to. The experts will be able to give you the type point, etc.

:) River

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
Dear allsmith,
i can't begin to give you a dollar amount on that piece. Type I cannot help with without holdind it. I can tell you it was either a knife or a preform for a point. If the base is ground that would narrow the time period down. Flint type is out of my area, but will help you anyway I can. It sure is a big thing though!
badandy

Rockhunter in Ohio

May 2, 2006
Knives are tough to date and much research is needed on the subject. I can tell you that the material is Flint Ridge which was quarried in Licking County. The list of tribes you noted are all historic cultures, but your blade is prehistoric and likely predates any of those. I can say I have found similar blades on a known Hopewell site here in Ohio. Ohio Hopewell dates from 200 BC-500 AD.
At auction it would likely sell in the $25-$60 range.

Hope this helps.

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread