what kind of rock is this PIC INSIDE

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/6X10 DD Coil/950 Coil
79286783.jpg

612e7dd2.jpg

494566d1.jpg

it is mostly clear with a very slight redish-brown core, very shiny (in the picture the rock is dry not wet) almost looks polished but was just pulled from my classified rocks today while panning

has several fractures throughout the core and outside. any ideas? I thought at first it was quartz but not too sure, if it is, what type of quartz is it? it is not white at all like most quartz, the only white-ish areas are where the fractures are. thanks for any and all help!

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly druzy quartz. That is when quartz forms around a host stone of some type. At any rate it is nice.

Upvote 0

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Have you done a hardness test yet?

I'd guess calcite or quartz, but until you know the hardness difficult to determine.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/6X10 DD Coil/950 Coil
Tuberale said:

I'd guess calcite or quartz, but until you know the hardness difficult to determine.

How do I do that? I'm as gold prospector never done rocks but this one caught my eye so I want to start hunting them!

Upvote 0

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
prospectordamon said:
Tuberale said:

How do I do that? I'm as gold prospector never done rocks but this one caught my eye so I want to start hunting them!
Hardness is determined by the Mohs scale. Try searching for Mohs hardness scale. It is a simple scratch test to determine how hard a rock is by using common objects, up to diamond. Some of these you should have readily available: unglazed tile (back of a toilet lid), glass, etc.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks to have a brownish or blackis tint, smokey quartz? I.e. irradiated quartz.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread