What kind of teeth?

Strigoi

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi!
I live by the eastern shores of Lake Manitoba, in a very marshy area. I've found over 20 various bones that I eventually want identified but I am really interested in the teeth I've found. All were found within 100m of eachother all on the shore of the lake.
Hopefully my pic uploads! Measurements are in Cm
I do have more pics if needed thanks!

Attachments

• 20150901_161013.jpg
    20150901_161013.jpg
    724.9 KB · Views: 89
OP
OP
S

Strigoi

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They appear to be bovid (bison or cow) teeth. Some uppers, some lowers. We'd need to see the occlusal surfaces (grinding face) to say there's nothing else in the mix.

Thank you so much for your reply! You've confirmed what I thought. I have some pics of the surface I'll attach them here.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: Welcome to TNET!

Nice Find! Keep your wits about you, you might find a bison skull in that area that you found the teeth.

OP
OP
S

Strigoi

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: Welcome to TNET!

Nice Find! Keep your wits about you, you might find a bison skull in that area that you found the teeth.
That's what I'm hoping! It's all sand and I've found a ton of bones in the general vicinity of the teeth. But so far no skull or even jaw. A lot of large leg bones as well as vertebrae. I've slowly been trying to identify them but it is hard to do. A lot of my bones are found in water which can alter them somewhat.
I'm going to try a gather all the ones found in the same area and grab a pic

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I see bovid (probably cow) teeth in the images. The upper teeth are in such poor condition that I think there is not much hope of finding an intact skull.

Among the bones, I see bovid (cow) metapodials (metacarpals and metatarsal) and deer metatarsal. Some other bones have damage, but I think I see most of a cow tibia.

deer_metapodials.JPG cow_tibia.jpg bison_bos_metatarsals_dorsal.JPG

OP
OP
S

Strigoi

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see bovid (probably cow) teeth in the images. The upper teeth are in such poor condition that I think there is not much hope of finding an intact skull.

Among the bones, I see bovid (cow) metapodials (metacarpals and metatarsal) and deer metatarsal. Some other bones have damage, but I think I see most of a cow tibia.

Thank you! I actually didn't mean to attach that one lol but I thought I had some deer in there. They do frequent the area. Cow not so much as it is shore as well as marsh no grazing within 1-2 miles, just cabins.
I have a ton of I believe metatarsal and metacarpals
Of various sizes as well. And a couple of shards that could be horn? Sorry for all the questions I realize these are not fossils but it's hard to find a website/forum dedicated to bones in general!
Anyway more pics

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread