WHAT MADE THE MARKS IN THIS ROCK?! IS IT ANCIENT WRITING?!

solo95502

Greenie
Jun 20, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this large rock in an abandoned garden, just north of Crescent City, California.
Can anyone tell me what it is and what made those marks?
The rock is approximately as big as a platter, and the marks go all the way around the rock in by a complete circle.
Thank you!

Attachments

• 20140310_150212.jpg
    20140310_150212.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 148
  • 20140310_150408~2.jpg
    20140310_150408~2.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 20140310_150327~3.jpg
    20140310_150327~3.jpg
    714.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 20140310_150303~2.jpg
    20140310_150303~2.jpg
    660.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 20140310_150234.jpg
    20140310_150234.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I quarried a rock somewhat similar from a mountain not too far from your location.
Been curious about it, ever since.

1) Any chance of getting focused pictures in natural, outdoor lighting ?
2) Can't make out the colors from your pictures, ... are there hints of "brownish-gold" coloring throughout the rock ?
3) If you run a piece of sandpaper along the seam, does it almost take on a metallic look, ... yet, it doesn't exactly look like metal ... just a hint of a metallic look compared to the rest of the rock?

I've had mine examined by some very knowledgeable people and am still looking for an explanation on what, and how this was formed.

I can vouch that it is entirely natural, nothing to do with human alteration, and that the "stitched bands" do run in a flat, consistent plane through the rock.

Hoping to see some clear pictures and hear folks theories on how this formation could have occurred.

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a water worn rock with two layers of decomposing layers of quartz veins.

Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a "mark" or "writing". Igneous intrusion into fractured rock, that occurred when it was still far underground, before it became a round stone. It doesn't go all around, it goes all the way through.

Kray, are you able to come up with examples or geologic terms that might apply.

Here's a random list of traits I'm seeing on mine. (I just pulled it out and examining it again after many years.)

Crystallization and Fossilization has been considered by several folks, but, doesn't seem to hold up ?
A small magnet "hangs" from the band, but immediately falls if I slide it over to the rest of the rock.
Metal detector fails to react.
The band definitely runs through the rock in a flat, planar fashion ... a layer.
When the ends of the plane are ground and polished it has the look of a rope or spiraled sea shell.
The "stitching" and the rock definitely have a different hardness.
Both take a polish ... the rock gets very smooth and shiny while the stitching gets a little less polished.
Not sure how to describe it ... no matter how deep I ground and polished ... the ends of the stitching plane takes on the look of a spiral with little voids remaining ... like trying to polish a rope ?
But, no matter how deep I go, the vein continues in a flat, planar fashion. Nothing appearing round.

This was an odd mystery for me, many years ago, and this is the first time seeing another example, and remarkably, is coming from the exact same part of the country.

I understand someone bringing it home for a garden rock, because it does have a unique and curious look.
I hope someone can help explain this natural formation or come up with a term that it might be further searched.

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Here's a random list of traits I'm seeing on mine. (I just pulled it out and examining it again after many years.)

Crystallization and Fossilization has been considered by several folks, but, doesn't seem to hold up ?
A small magnet "hangs" from the band, but immediately falls if I slide it over to the rest of the rock.
The band definitely runs through the rock in a flat, planar fashion ... a layer.
When the ends of the plane are ground and polished it has the look of a rope or spiraled sea shell.
Both take a polish ... the rock gets very smooth and shiny while the stitching gets a little less polished.
Not sure how to describe it ... no matter how deep I ground and polished ... the ends of the stitching plane takes on the look of a spiral with little voids remaining ... like trying to polish a rope ?
But, no matter how deep I go, the vein continues in a flat, planar fashion. Nothing appearing round.

This was an odd mystery for me, many years ago, and this is the first time seeing another example, and remarkably, is coming from the exact same part of the country.

I understand someone bringing it home for a garden rock, because it does have a unique and curious look.
I hope someone can help explain this natural formation or come up with a term that it might be further searched.

I can't speak to your rock, because you haven't shown a pic. My take on solo's rock is the host rock appears to be granite, and the intruded material was very hot when it filled the cracks in the granite because contact metamorphism is evident in the discoloration on either side of the infilling material. It's hard to say what exactly the material is, but it displays columnar jointing from the cooling process. I don't think it's quartz, rather basalt.

This rock ended up in a river, or in a pounding surf, as demonstrated by it's now rounded form. Also, this confirms it was a hot weld of the two materials, for it to withstand this vigorous water tumbling.

That's all I got.

Upvote 2

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I found this rock, there was no question it was natural. (1994 with a large group of rock hounds on a field trip)
It looked very similar to op's rock ... in the rough. Only the "stitching" seemed unique and of interest.
The rest of the rock didn't seem to have any potential. (I wanted carving rock)

Later, I tried to cut the stitching down so it would lie flat with the other rock and possibly offer a clue to its formation.
Was surprised to find the rock not only carved well, but took a decent polish.
(it's softer than granite or basalt, ... but harder than serpentine. Was very familiar with serpentines, never saw a serpentine like this ... but, it carves just slightly harder than serpentine, and polishes very similar ... don't think it's serpentine, only mention it because it carved similar.)

Was surprised to find the deep stitching, as seen in op's rock, took on a very distinct pattern as I ground the rock down. My intent was to smooth off a small area to help with future identification.
When it started to carve well, I went ahead and shaped up the whole rock ... but, many folks have viewed the rock, since ... experienced folks ... and it's still a mystery.

"Igneous Intrusion", "intruded and healed rock", have been the best thoughts ... same as yours, Kray.
What hasn't been identified yet is, "Is this a local anomaly, or, a more universal trait that has been found elsewhere ?
Crystallization and fossil always enter the conversation, and everyone has shaken their head and discounted that theory, on close examination.

It's been an unanswered question, and this is the first time I've seen someone come up with a stone that has such close traits ... and very surprised to see it came from the same area. (mine came from the wilderness, slightly north of Crescent City)

Anyway, I'm bringing it up because I was somewhat shocked to see op's rock, and I've always been curious about this one. :)

Bottom.JPG

1Top.JPG

1Side.JPG

Upvote 1

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet there is a fossilized critter inside that rock. The only way to know is to break it open. Just drop it and see if it comes apart.

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Actually, I have lost interest in this thread.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread