jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Best Magazine for hunting and techniques of metal detecting.
would be "WESTERN & EASTERN TREASURES".

Fot those more Into Treasure Hunting "LOST TREASURE" seem to be the one to get.

And IF you Like looking at Real Nice Pictures Of Civil War & Revolutionary Relics,
"AMERICAN DIGGER"

Of course , anyone more into Prospecting
"GOLD
PROSPECTORS
& TREASURE HUNTERS in the GREAT OUTDOORS"

I'm not aware of any other Detecting Related Magazines that are still being published.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I would have to agree with Jeff.

For the purposes listed, you can't get better magazines.

I personally go to the local Barnes and Noble and read Lost Treasure, W&ET, & Gold Prospectors.

Hope it helps,

RON(PA)

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
YEWS THE PRICES OF THE MAG, OVER THE YEARS HAS GONE SO HIGH, BUT NOW I JUST GO TO THE BOOK STORE AND READ THEM THERE, LOL,, WHO SAID IM CHEAP,,,

JAG

Nov 16, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
I've been enjoying old issues of Treasure World and Treasure Search bought on eBay. I regularly read all three listed in an earlier post but have been enjoying old issues of magazines no longer published. Have a look on eBay, lots of them for sale.

Jerry

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Probably the same as with most other hobby magazines-- two factors, mainly...

1. Printing & mailing costs are astronomical. Ask the publisher of any magazine. And because a lot of that is baseline expense, it can often cost almost as much to print a comparatively small run as a large one.

2. Supply & demand: maybe 50 thousand people want to buy a metal detecting magazine, while millions will buy major sport(s) publications. It's the same reason why you may have to pay $500 for a metal detector that contains about the same amount of electronics as a $25-50 radio.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
JakePhelps said:
Why are the costs of W&E Treasure so high?? It costs like 30 bucks to subscribe :(
PBK said:
2.? Supply & demand:? maybe 50 thousand people want to buy a metal detecting magazine, while millions will buy major sport(s) publications.? It's the same reason why you may have to pay $500 for a metal detector that contains about the same amount of electronics as a $25-50 radio.

Nah, it's because everyone goes to the local bookstore and reads the magazines instead of buying them. ;D

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
I go to trade shows and find the old desert and the old true treasure magazines the old mags are the[ Best yet ;Buck

Gretchen

Aug 2, 2004
The cost of subscribing to Lost Treasure and Western & Eastern Treasure Magazines is high. Take a look at eBay. Some good old issues. Actually the older issues of the seventies and eighties have better articles. I have over 100 older magazines. Got some great ideas and sites from them. Also they cover gem hunting sites and old bottles. Also the Western & Eastern Treasure Magazine had questions and answers by the famous Von on railroad date nails and locating them and other relics by abandoned railroad lines. Gretchen.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The U.K. magazines cost about $80 for twelve issues. I have got Treasure Hunting and Searcher back to the pilot issues plus Metal Detecting, Detector User and others that folded + some U.S. magazines. Now I'm seriously considering not renewing my subscriptions. Quality has dropped dramatically over the last few years. Of the two people I detect most with neither now buys any. Perhaps the internet forums have made them obsolete. At least on the net if someone tells a begineer brand X machine detects cents at three feet others can wade in and point out the true facts.

oldestjim

Sep 5, 2004
Southern California
Gosh... consider this. A tank of gas can cost 50-80 dollars. So if you have spent
money on several magazines which can lead to "research," the magazine
is certainly worth buying.

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I subscribe to "W&E Treasures" & Receive "Gold Prospector" cause of my LDMA membership. I would take "Lost Treasure", but if you take a 70's issue & a current one, you will find the same rehashed stories. I also buy "Rock&Gem" because it has quite a bit on Gold sometimes.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
ICMJ, Gold prospectors, Lost Treasure, W&E treasure, Rock & Gem. :laughing7:

Hum, did I miss any... :whip2:

I find back issues of these magazines at yard sales and and other events.

Gold, treasure and geology books and magazines are always on my lists.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go to the library where they have a table with free magazines and grab a couple.

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Back in the early 90's i used to stop in a book store before work to look at
treasure mags - mostly the ones listed above I did buy 4 that aren't being
published anymore as far as i know ? Successful Treasure Hunting, Treasure
Finders, Finds from the Sea, and 13 Epic Sagas of Lost Ships and Treasure Found
I got all 4 Vol.1 No.1's And since late 95 i've been a subscriber to Western &
Eastern Magazine I'd get it in the mail and read it in a matter of hours thinking ....
why don't they make this longer cause it'll be another month till i get to read
another one :( And then i became aware of T Net :thumbsup: Now i think why do
i still subscibe to W & E cause with T Net i can read about d - tecting and finds
etc., etc. anytime i want ;D
There is one magazine i read that offers many many potential sites all over the U.S
and i wonder how many of you people read it too? "Country" and "Country Extra"
Magazine here's some examples Country Churches (history+locations) The Way
it Was (old photographs) Can You Help Me ? ( just like our What is It ? ) and there
was a section for vacation spots mostly B & B's ( old+historic places ) and top
quality photo's covering every subject about country living
If you'd like to check it out sometime here is the site www.country-magazine.com
you might see some places from your home town you were not aware of ?

good luck diggin Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread