What MD manufacturer had the FIRST discriminating metal detector?

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to find some information that I can't even get a definitive answer from the Googles...

Does anybody know which MD manufacturer offered the -first- metal detector that was able to discriminate?

I'm assuming it would've been early non-VLF technology. So, the first discriminating MD was (safe to assume) the TR type.

Anyone have an answer?

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't find the solution on Google either.

But this was ( History of the metal Detector. | Metal Detector SA ) interesting, but doesn't answer your query:

"
You may know the name Garhard Fischar (Fisher metal detectors) as he received the worlds first metal detector patent and is considered to have made the world’s first modern portable metal detector in 1925. His machine was first sold commercially in 1931shortly before world war 2. He is also responsible for the first mass production of the metal detector.
Finds-from-Caligula%E2%80%99s-galleys.jpg
Finds from Caligula’s galleys

Gerhard stumbled onto the solution after seeing errors and problems in another project he was working on for airborne direction finding equipment. The solutions he came up with for the problems helped him in creating the metal detector.

The world’s first to apply for such a patent was Shirl Herr in 1924 to help Benito Mussolini recover treasures of Emperor Caligula’s galleys from the bottom a lake Nemi in 1929 (another incredibly fascinating story). Admiral Richard Byrd’s Second Antarctic Expedition in 1933 also used Herr’s machine to find artifacts left by early explorers to the region. His machine was effective to 8 feet down! Incredible!"

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There was discriminating bfo attempts . But they weren't popular and had problems (depth dropped dramatically )

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The earliest I've seen any discriminator ads in the treasure magazine ads was in 1969 -'70-ish. And those were on obscure bands that didn't survive .

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The earliest I've seen any discriminator ads in the treasure magazine ads was in 1969 -'70-ish. And those were on obscure bands that didn't survive .
Perhaps a Garrett, Fisher, or Whites connected member would share this information with the forum. I suggest that the time period was 1978 for the TR-discrimination type metal detector but this is based on my memories of when I first saw various claims and advertisements. I bought my first Garrett in 1980 and the advertisements extolled the discrimination abilities of their detectors with the spotlighting of their ability to ground balance without the 'whipping' required of the Whites' machines.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread