• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    369.6 KB · Views: 46
Upvote 0

rjb

Greenie
Jan 10, 2004
Thailand
My machines are a Whites Eagle Spectrum with a Big Foot coil and a Tesoro Toltec II. I am partial to the Tesoros I have used however, I like the Big Foot coil, only available for the Whites the last time I looked. There are new, probably better machines. I do find more nickles with the Tesoro, for what ever reason it seems better at eliminating pull tabs and still giving an okay for nickles. I have had newer Tesoro models but like the meter on the Toltec II. The led meter on the Whites is sometimes handicapped if used in the hot sun over a period of time.

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
I use a Fisher 1236-2X with 8" and 5" coil for most of my hunting. I also use a BH Land Star with 8" and 4'' coil for back up and some types of hunting. HH CG

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
I use a Minelab Explorer II, but I just got it. There has been too much snow to use it much so far this year.

Previously I used a BH Landstar.

Attachments

• roar.jpg
    roar.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 36

Dbeard77

Sep 18, 2003
Indiana
I recently bought a Fisher CZ-70 Pro but have not been able to use it that much due to the weather. Before my Fisher I used a Tesoro Silver Sabre II.

Attachments

• find2.jpg
    find2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 14
  • find4.jpg
    find4.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 13
  • find6.jpg
    find6.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 11
  • find10.jpg
    find10.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 12
  • find11.jpg
    find11.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 17
  • find12.jpg
    find12.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 11
  • find13.jpg
    find13.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 15
  • find20.jpg
    find20.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 10
  • find21.jpg
    find21.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 18
  • find23.jpg
    find23.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 17
  • find24.jpg
    find24.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 16
  • find29.jpg
    find29.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 15

scotty

Oct 12, 2003
central missouri
Lets see, started out with a D-Tex Tiny Tex, then a A.H. Pro, then a Bounty Hunter Red Baron, then a Garretts Groundhog Deepseeker, then a Whites Classic II, then gave that to wife and I got a Garretts 550, then a Garretts 1250, then back to a Whites Spectrum XLT, which I am still using. I like the XLT the best out of all those detectors. I have checked out the newer BHs, Tesoros, Minelabs, Fishers, but still like the XLT overall. Sorry Eddie, what kind did you say you used? LOL HH Scotty

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eldorado

Does anyone use the Eldorado? I just bought one, but am waiting for the weather to break to use it. Any advice?

scotty

Oct 12, 2003
central missouri
Eddie...having hard time finding one that can keep up with me. I been at this game since 1962. Just never found a detector that could do it all, especially cook. lol , its been fun lookin tho. Scotty

A

aetius

Well I am newer than a newbie, but I will be using the Garrett GTAx 550. I chose this one after extensive reading and recommendations from other Garrett users. It was within my budget that I set for myself as well ease of use for a beginer. I also wanted the LCD readout (eventhough pros say you don't really need it) I plan on using this one for coin and relic hunting here in Germany. I will post any interesting things I find on this site.

scotty

Oct 12, 2003
central missouri
Eddie...I have done some hunting here in Missouri, there is a fella in Eldorado Springs that has been at it here longer than me, everytime I think I have found a new spot, he has been there. lol Frustrating at times. He uses a Fisher 1266X I believe it is. He is the one that got me started in this hobby. We also used to go arrowhead hunting too, he has a great collection of them too. I do get own to Stockton every once in awhile, to do some bass fishing or crappie or walleye fishing. I notice you are retired, so am I. Drop me a line. my e-mail address is [email protected] HH. Scotty

scotty

Oct 12, 2003
central missouri
Aetius I think you will be happy with the Garrett 550. I used one for about a year and liked it very well. It has good depth, and easy to change modes, easy to notch out certain targets, and easy to reset to factory settings. Battery pack can be removed and clipped on your belt to lighten detector weight. Lots of good points for the 550. Has pushbutton pinpointing. Just wish Garrett would improve the pushbutton features. If the buttons would have the slight click like the Whites machines, it would help. It is a neat machine, good luck with it.

Attachments

• Hardaway-Palmer(side1).jpg
    Hardaway-Palmer(side1).jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Coldwater 1c.jpg
    Coldwater 1c.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Morrow Mountain assortment 1b.jpg
    Morrow Mountain assortment 1b.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 18

trgams

Apr 21, 2003
Columbia, SC, USA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I've got an older Radio-Shack metal detector...made by bounty hunter with two search coils(8" and 4") I also own the Tesoro Silver Umax....The Tesoro is by far the better machine...It discriminates better, and Lately I have noticed that even without discriminating out pull-tabs, I can "hear" when I'm about to pull one up out of the ground.I feel that mostly any metal detector is going to work pretty good against one annother(unless you have the absolutely cheapest thing available) The operator is really the key.Good-Luck to you all. :) Ps. I wish I had enough money for one of those top of the line models, That's what I'm saving up for !!!! :)

W

WampusCat

I have used a Garret GTAX 1000 for four years with good success. It is a good coin and jewelry finder, however, does not do well on beaches and some heavy clay areas (old football fields).

Just purchased a White MXT. Only have about 5 hours of searching with it, so I have a lot to learn. Truthfully, I am not that happy with it, but a year from now, I may love it.

I always wanted a Fisher CZ machine, but bought the MXT. May have to trade it in.

rooter101

Feb 11, 2004
I have a Garrett GTAX 1000 and a Compass Coin Scanner ProII, Garrett is great but the Compass is fantastic.

Attachments

• IMG_6547.JPG
    IMG_6547.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6546.JPG
    IMG_6546.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 18
  • tumblr_n2i4ghpa8D1tvgduko1_400.jpg
    tumblr_n2i4ghpa8D1tvgduko1_400.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6503.JPG
    IMG_6503.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 14

bulltab

Jun 30, 2003
i have owned a garrett gta for 14 yrs! and love it.however i'm ready to move on. i'm buying a tesoro tej'on,i have talked to a guy who uses it and told me that it is a great machine.btw---i'm thinking of trading my gta 350 for a water unit. mark

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Eddie
You are right-after 40 years one is entitled to spurge on one's hobby. After taking care of life's obligations why not. Everybody has hobbies or special interests.
Look at the amount of money fishermen spend on their hobby- fishing gear,boats, trailers.ect
They proudly show off their catches just as we show off our coins or nuggets.
It's just different strokes for different folks.

George

Attachments

• fledglng effigy copyV EMAIL.jpg
    fledglng effigy copyV EMAIL.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 17
  • swss-army-artifact copy.gif
    swss-army-artifact copy.gif
    98.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF2129.jpg
    DSCF2129.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 13
  • email a.jpg
    email a.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 20

scotty

Oct 12, 2003
central missouri
Wish I did have the money that Eddie credits me having, but alas it isn't that way. Only income I have now is social security, and everyone knows how meager that is. Every detector I have owned paid for itself. I was a construction worker most of those 40 years, and it took moving from state to state every 3 to 4 years to keep working. I helped build Electric power generating plants. Coal fired and Nucleur fueled ones. We raised 3 children and we managed to have our own home now here in Missouri, and it is paid for. So far the hobby has paid its own way, so I am happy with it, and enjoy doing it. Hopefully my knees and back will hold up for a few more years. Hopefully this snow and ice will be gone in a couple weeks and the ground thaws, I have a new site to hunt that has never been hunted and its been seeded for the past 10 years or so with fresh coins and stuff every year. I have the permission and can't wait to get to swinging. HH. Scotty

Attachments

• image-443954141.png
    image-443954141.png
    347.6 KB · Views: 48

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread