Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many detectors that are better than the ATP can be made rain proof with just a plastic baggie over the controls. One is the Whites Beach Hunter ID which can also be taken in the water like the ATP. However you might not like it as it doesn't chatter with false signals.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Understand that everyone on this board will like different units or dislike certain units. There is a reason the AT Pro is the best selling detector
for the last several years. It has to do with price point vs. features and ease of learning. There are certainly better units out there.

The Beach Hunter sells for 900+ vs. 500+ for the AT PRO. for the 400 you can but a Propointer (125), stainless steel sand scoop (140), lesch digger (40) and predator shovel (80). If you would want to upgrade later the ATP has a ready used market or keep it as a backup unit. Garrett's service is second to none.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like any hobby, there is a lot to learn spend a few weeks reading all you can find and see if you can find a local MD store that carries multiple brands. Even if you have to diver a few hundred miles, it is well worth the trip. Typically people buy something and 6 months later sell it and buy something else. This is either because they did not take the time to learn the machine, and as such have not found anything they think is "Good" and assume something more expensive will be better.. Again, they still have to put in the time to learn the unit. The other reason is they are uncomfortable swinging the machine because they did not try it before buying it... Like buying a car online with never sitting in it.. seats may or may not be comfy..
Good luck!
This site has information overload, but if you can go through it and digest it, you can make a better purchase.
Truth about Metal Detecting & Treasure Hunting - All Info!

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Try this link:

Kellyco Metal Detector Comparison

I am new to metal detecting and have hired a at pro for this weekend. Now i am looking to buy my onw one but, is there somewhere a list online that presents all the waterproof metal detectors?

Because i really only need it to be "rainproof" as i am not going to go under water...

thanks!

OP
OP
A

andyb

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like any hobby, there is a lot to learn spend a few weeks reading all you can find and see if you can find a local MD store that carries multiple brands. Even if you have to diver a few hundred miles, it is well worth the trip. Typically people buy something and 6 months later sell it and buy something else. This is either because they did not take the time to learn the machine, and as such have not found anything they think is "Good" and assume something more expensive will be better.. Again, they still have to put in the time to learn the unit. The other reason is they are uncomfortable swinging the machine because they did not try it before buying it... Like buying a car online with never sitting in it.. seats may or may not be comfy..
Good luck!
This site has information overload, but if you can go through it and digest it, you can make a better purchase.
Truth about Metal Detecting & Treasure Hunting - All Info!

I had that with the at pro this weekend, but maybe if i would go for garrett i would go for the 350 to begin with. Have had some bad luck.

I have had numbers up to 100 this weekend but when i dug up the object, mostly it was ony rusty neals... I have read the reason is that rust has the same "value" as large silver etc.

So i am thinking, why go for a very expensive tool when it (it, meaning probably no metal detector?) can't even discriminate rusted iron?

But thanks for the reactions, i will look into the other mentionned brands and types!

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The "mine is bigger than yours" crowd will tell you theirs is the best.--- From a Harbor Freight to the top dollar machine, NONE work if you don't learn them inside out. And ALL work if you do. Spend wisely. Happy Hunting.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter which detector you buy, you will get fooled every now and then. With the higher end machines, it's less likely to happen but still not foolproof. If you explain a bit more on the type of detecting you plan on doing, we might be able to refine our recommendations. Nothing wrong with an AT Pro but if you don't need the waterproof feature, there may be better choices. Salt water hunting? Parks? Relics? Nuggets?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Understand that everyone on this board will like different units or dislike certain units. There is a reason the AT Pro is the best selling detector for the last several years. It has to do with price point vs. features and ease of learning. There are certainly better units out there. The Beach Hunter sells for 900+ vs. 500+ for the AT PRO. for the 400 you can but a Propointer (125), stainless steel sand scoop (140), lesch digger (40) and predator shovel (80). If you would want to upgrade later the ATP has a ready used market or keep it as a backup unit. Garrett's service is second to none.
And one other main main reason is .... JUICE in the hole!!! Not to open Pandora's box but a certain tv show sold 2/3 of the AT's. Or at least lead the viewer to sites like this one where they read rave reviews! It's definitely the best bang for the buck in its market.

Last edited:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
whatever

Whatever detector you buy, use it a LOT, learning all it can do and can't. Getting proficient is important. Knowing its little quirks!
You want a middle-of-the-line machine, one that's (somehow) intuitive to use, but one that offers you a lot of info, so you can make
the right decision to dig or not....
But, I guess you should GUESS and DIG, and (that) WILL help you learn about, what that machine was (trying) to tell you!
Bag your machine to keep out rain, unless you get a waterproof unit.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like so many have said it's more about learning your detector than the make or model. I would however at least start with a detector comparable to the ATP. There are several in the $600 to $800 range that will do more than the lower end models but not much less than the higher end models. To spend $1000 or more on a detector takes awhile to learn because they offer so many settings and hitting on what works best for your style of hunting takes awhile. I started with an Ace 250 and went to the ATP two months later and was amazed how much better it was once I got about 200 hours on it. I will put myself up against anyone with an ATP but have since graduated to a higher end Whites V3i. I have not yet mastered the V3i. To me it's the challenge of mastering a detector once I buy it.

Go with your gut but once you get good with what you buy you will wonder how much better you can be with a higher end detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread