What non gold or silver jewelry to keep an eye out for?

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research research research. I make more money flipping costume than I do with gold and silver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vintage namebrand stuff, probably best bet to look on eBay, vintage jewelry. Sold, Price plus shipping highest first. You'll be busy but you will see a lot.

Rhinestone things. Namebrand there's a ton.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old costume with clean rhinestones? Just buy it if the cost is reasonable. You'll be amazed at what some pieces can go for, even unsigned.

Just keep googling and ebaying designer names until you get a feel for it. You can make yourself a cheat sheet with designer names and rating beside it. ($ to $$$$$) Kind of like google restaurant ratings.

Time time effort and more time and many fails later and you'll start to see a nice return on the jewelry you buy.

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit it outta the park today... I sorted through a ladies jewelry hoard and bought 75.00 worth of stuff. Everything clearly marked with price tags.. ten minutes after I left the 2 hour task I had $160 in my hand from one piece of jewelry.. bought a duck call along with everything that will bring me $70 and have listed 4 pieces of costume on ebay for over $125 total. I have a hard times token looking piece that gets listed auction style tomorrow and about 7 more pieces in addition to the 4 pennyweight of gold and 2 ounces of Sterling in there.. the big money is in the costume jewelry here for me.

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy shizzzz batman!! New piece to keep my eye peeled for. I'd like to think my eye would catch these being different and picking it up to research if under 3-5 bucks

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Jelly Bellys are few and far between for me...but I'm always looking. Along with Miriam...

thriftingeyes

Sep 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a couple of pieces of jade the other day

Attachments

• 1493844276355.jpg
    1493844276355.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 61

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've bought pewter jewelry made by Jorgen Jensen of Denmark before and made a few bucks out of his stuff. I wouldn't pay a lot for it, but some pieces can reach over a hundred bucks from collectors of his jewelry. Outside of that I don't know a lot about costume jewelry but do know some older signed pieces can be worth buying.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much beating a dead horse now, but yeah, name brand, rhinestone (colorful tacky stuff does amazingly well, but research). Name brand and rhinestone of course together does well. Sold a Joan Rivers Bee pendant for a pretty penny and I just thought it looked neat when I bought it. Some thrift stores I go to have items marked down and a lot of the time I can get cheap gambles (.25-1) for an item that I might not be sure of. For a good example of rhinestone type pieces that I go after, https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q="signed+art"+brooch+rhinestone . I've sold a few items signed "art" and others that are quite similar in style that have no writing. People go crazy for them.

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Takahashi painted bird brooches. Even Takahashi-style birds will usually sell decently, also painted wooden bird brooches in general.

Look for a prettily painted bird with twisted wire legs clutching a branch. Authentic Takahashi used small brass tacks/pins to attach the pinback, while replicas used screws. The first bird is a replica and sold for 13.50, but many replicas sell in the $15-$30 range. The second was listed as an authentic Takahashi and sold for $430.00, which is generally high, but it's a more unusual bird. Many sell in the $50-$100 and up range. Photos are not mine.

s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I sold a Takahashi bird pin to Carol Takahashi last year. She trolls eBay for pins she does not have. She buys them with the plan to donate them as a collection. Her parents were the Takahashis that created them. Paid $1 and sold to her for $75.00. Didn't know until after I took her OBO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread