What pennies do you keep? AND What do you recirculate?

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking of going thru some of my (many) pennies. I am starting to recycle the more recent MD finds since they are pretty much worthless and in rough shape. But as far as better conditioned coins? Besides key dates, how many wheaties and pre82, do you hold on to before you start to unload some. IS there a point in time when a penny may be worth more in copper value than a penny?
Just like to get some penny collectors point of view.
thanks

Upvote 0

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
all pre 82 pennies are worth more in copper. it's based on market price of copper, you can go to coinflation.com and find out. last time i checked a penny was worth a penny and a third! hope that helps.

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
keep what you can afford to save...

personally i am saving all wheats, and goal is to save up 1000$ of copper pennies

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
d2arcing said:
keep what you can afford to save...

personally i am saving all wheats, and goal is to save up 1000$ of copper pennies

agree - save what you can afford. I pull wheats but sell them after I accumulate a few hundred. Prices have been up a bit this year with the 100 year anniversary of the cent so I unloaded.

dasherhunting

Jul 8, 2008
ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
I save all wheats and any errors that catch my eye. I also save any pre 60 canadians. Dont save the pre 82s though so many of them that wouldnt have extra to recirculate. :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
Reverend B*IKE*

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
waseeker said:
I pull wheats but sell them after I accumulate a few hundred. Prices have been up a bit this year with the 100 year anniversary of the cent so I unloaded.

What do you sell wheaties for? AND what do you buy them at?
How do you unload them.... Where and to who?
thanks
For all replys!!!

OP
OP
Reverend B*IKE*

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
phrostie said:
all pre 82 pennies are worth more in copper. it's based on market price of copper, you can go to coinflation.com and find out. last time i checked a penny was worth a penny and a third! hope that helps.

If that is true that means it has gone up 2/3 s in the last 2 months!! That means the value is close to double its face value!! SO IT does make sense to hang on to any pre-82 cents and see where it goes in the next few months! AND heck I think it may be worth it to melt it! The only problem is to see what the minimum melt quantity is?

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
Reverend B*IKE* said:
phrostie said:

If that is true that means it has gone up 2/3 s in the last 2 months!! That means the value is close to double its face value!! SO IT does make sense to hang on to any pre-82 cents and see where it goes in the next few months! AND heck I think it may be worth it to melt it! The only problem is to see what the minimum melt quantity is?

Yea, about that melting part, last time I checked its still illegal :icon_scratch: If you want to melt, stick with silver

myprecious

Aug 2, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites BHID 300 / Bounty Hunter IV
"all pre 82 pennies are worth more in copper. it's based on market price of copper, you can go to coinflation.com and find out. last time i checked a penny was worth a penny and a third! hope that helps."

Copper prices have touched $4/lb a few times in the last year. And as the chart shows has been rising lately with a vengeance.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/copper_historical_large.html#5years

Right now copper is about $2.85/lb.
$0.0192441 is the melt value for the 1909-1982 copper cent on August 24, 2009. (coinflation.com)

I wouldn't consider swapping my copper for below $5/lb...since the trends are there in waiting - just might take a little while. No rush though. And remember most 1982 cents are copper weighing 3+ grams - but some '82s are zinc & weigh 2.6 grams...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread