What Problems When Coil Cover Fills With Saltwater Sand?

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm interested in what effects you have experienced when metal detecting at a saltwater beach and your coil cover fills with wet saltwater ladened sand and you didn't remove the coil to clean it out. Any falsing, degradation of sensitivity, loss of depth etc....what have you seen and where were those beaches?

I very much appreciate your input.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weight: No problemo
Cost: Samo
Sand: Would be betta if there was some way of making the search coil slicker on the top and sides so
that sand would not stick and build up. I loose a lot of energy and time having to constantly walk to the water to get the accumulated sand off.

I gave up using the current protective cover, aka skid plate, over a year ago and have not regetted it. When conditions are right (slick hard wet sand, dry sand when level enough), I often skid the unprotected search coil on the ground to achieve maximum detection depth.
I would rather replace a coil now and then than miss avaluable piece(s) of jewlery, which would more than pay for a brand new detector as well as for the trip.

Weight: same as your normal cover

Sand: does not stick to the outside surface any more than it does to your normal cover

Cost: Less than your normal cover

Availability: Stay tuned

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all who responded. I very much appreciate the input.

If a cover were available that protected the coil, did not accumulate sand, did not degrade the sensitivity or function of the detector in anyway, was of simple design, did not require silicon or marine epoxy to work and was readily removable, would that be useful? Seems to me that would be the perfect solution. What say all of you?
Sure! So would treasure fairies that would lead you straight to the good stuff! I haven't seen either.....yet......:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread