What`s your LDM search vehicle?

393stroker

Jun 27, 2012
HOUSTON
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro-something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first time out in the mountains I took my 2008 F-350 crew cab dually trying to get to Rogers Canyon. Then I saw a sign that said 4x4 needed, so I ended up turning back and paying some guy with a Jeep to get me up there. Well, that didn`t work out to good. The battery came out and hit the fan and leaked acid all over the place, the radiator overheated and we had to make trips back to the windmill for water. Then going up the steep hill @ the hairpin we broke an axle. But we made it and he came back the next night after the storm with another Jeep to pick me up. So when I made it back to Houston I traded my F-350 for a Raptor. It`s been pretty dependable so far and has helped other people that got their vehicles stuck. It`s a good idea to take some extra stuff incase you break down, get a flat or need to pull. 019.JPG 018.JPG

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first time out in the mountains I took my 2008 F-350 crew cab dually trying to get to Rogers Canyon. Then I saw a sign that said 4x4 needed, so I ended up turning back and paying some guy with a Jeep to get me up there. Well, that didn`t work out to good. The battery came out and hit the fan and leaked acid all over the place, the radiator overheated and we had to make trips back to the windmill for water. Then going up the steep hill @ the hairpin we broke an axle. But we made it and he came back the next night after the storm with another Jeep to pick me up. So when I made it back to Houston I traded my F-350 for a Raptor. It`s been pretty dependable so far and has helped other people that got their vehicles stuck. It`s a good idea to take some extra stuff incase you break down, get a flat or need to pull. View attachment 1791605 View attachment 1791606

Curious what year the Jeep was which broke an axle.
Never been to Arizona. What are roads like up there?
Or what passes for roads. I have a 2000 Dodge Durango 4x4 which actually came from Arizona. Back roads here can be pretty rough. Deep ruts and rocks.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I am not surprised that you broke an axle on a “heep”, They are basically worthless off road.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I am not surprised that you broke an axle on a “heep”, They are basically worthless off road.
if they are stock they are ok but once you start putting crappy aftermarket parts on then they start breaking

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Mule is better than this....
I had rented the Jeep in the photo for ten days....$375....for my visit last fall.
A bit pricey, but worth it's cost in boot soles.

Attachments

• 4 seat barbeque.jpg
    4 seat barbeque.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 129
OP
OP
393stroker

393stroker

Jun 27, 2012
HOUSTON
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro-something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The roads that I saw looked like the did some maintenance with a grader at some point. But time will take it`s toll. I have driven up some shallow creek beds and across Pinto Creek one time. I try to steer clear of the sharp edges of exposed rocks. Expect some minor scratch`s / damage if your lucky.

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well now - I've got a 'Ram-1500, hemi, 2wd' which is not really what you want in the AZ-mountains. However, I also carry a 55 gal water barrel (I have used 6x80lbs premix in the past) and tying it down above the rear wheels (on the bed). Not the most ideal of solutions (I'd far prefer a 4wd), but it has served me well so far - ain't got stuck anywhere ... and I've been over some rather awkward parts!

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
That Mule is better than this....
I had rented the Jeep in the photo for ten days....$375....for my visit last fall.
A bit pricey, but worth it's cost in boot soles.

Cost me $75 to get this boot resoled.

boots.JPG

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
next time try lambs shoe repair in mesa...50 bucks

The reason it was that expensive was because I didn't want to wait for one week, I wanted it fixed in a day or two.

I wear military-grade Danner desert boots now, and haven't had a problem.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Maybe the old Jeeps might hold up. I found out one thing when I was looking for a used 4x4. People were asking thousands for piles of parts if they were Jeep.
People around here also buy those huge pretty toys which obviously never get anywhere near a dirt road.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Yeah right - will that take me from TX to AZ ??? (in _my_ lifetime)

I have seen how fast you hike, you should make it in about seven weeks and that would include stopping for toilet breaks! Also, there is one other little piece of equipment that will magically make it all possible, one that I suspect you already have:

8794_201704041574.JPG

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen how fast you hike, you should make it in about seven weeks and that would include stopping for toilet breaks! Also, there is one other little piece of equipment that will magically make it all possible, one that I suspect you already have:

8794_201704041574.JPG

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:
He he - now that changes it all! ;-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread