What says you?

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out hunting Civil War relics today and stumbled across this possible Metate sticking out of small hump along the tree line where the hill starts to break over into a steep valley. The hump I think may have just been where a farmer had either pushed up or dumped some rocks and dirt from the field or something.

It has a nice flat bottom and dished top, so it looks tight to be but I thought I'd ask you guys.

Is it the real deal or just another rock Dad dragged home?
And if it's real what do you figure it's worth?

Here it is sitting on top of the hump where I found it. You can kind of see where it was sticking out before I moved it. [To clarify, I moved it before shooting this photo]
20190409_124223.jpg

20190410_000559.jpg

My hand for a size reference.
20190409_123901.jpg

Showing the bowl shape
20190409_154413.jpg

20190409_154912.jpg

Here I just put a Mano from my collection in it. They weren't found together.
20190409_155647.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a good possibility as a metate. If there was any glacial activity in your area, then maybe it might be caused by glacial erosion. As for worth, it is up to whatever some one wants to pay.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Looks like one, that picture with the stick shows the basin portion quite well.

Dollar value? Not nearly as much as the effort to get it home... Those things will give you a hernia. I’ve seen them go for a dollar or two at auctions because no one wanted to move them, and I’ve seen them go for hundreds for more symmetrical, thinner ones.

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like one, that picture with the stick shows the basin portion quite well.

Dollar value? Not nearly as much as the effort to get it home... Those things will give you a hernia. I’ve seen them go for a dollar or two at auctions because no one wanted to move them, and I’ve seen them go for hundreds for more symmetrical, thinner ones.

It's actually not that heavy. I haven't weighed it but guessing roughly 25 pounds

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
looks fine to me.

the rod across it helps to visualize the cupping in the stone.

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a good possibility as a metate. If there was any glacial activity in your area, then maybe it might be caused by glacial erosion. As for worth, it is up to whatever some one wants to pay.

No glacier activity in the southern Ozarks that I'm aware of, but I learn new things every day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread