What settings for dry, low mineralization, low trash areas?

fishingdevil

May 1, 2013
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No digital yet. Definitely not on amazon.com

You can try the default dry beach setting. It'll work just fine. Fine tune from there to your own preference or whatever suit your location best.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never really used a Deus, but what settings would you use for very dry, low mineralization, and low trash/iron areas? I would dig everything, but the key feature is that it needs to be deep.

And does anyone know if Andy Sabisch's book is available in digital?
Factory loaded "relic" program!:thumbsup:

HobbyMan

Sep 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, XP DEUS, Golden Mask 4 Pro, Teknetics Eurotek Pro 11'' DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In this video I demonstrate the different settings and how important is to set the ground balance:

Check the description too.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The two major controllers of depth are reactivity and sensitivity. Since trash and mineralization are low, keep the reactivity level on zero. Turn sensitivity all the way up as long as EMI is not a problem. Disc level can effect depth somewhat on the Deus, although exactly how much can vary depending on who you talk to. Some swear by keeping the disc at zero when looking for the deep stuff. That's fine if you don't mind hearing all iron signals loud and clear, but keep in mind that you will be losing the first tone and along with it the adjustable iron volume. Also, all of your targets will show up only on the right side of the horseshoe graph. For those reasons I usually don't set my disc at zero, but I have on occasion. Frequency.....4 or 8kHz will work well for large objects and high conductive targets that are dime sized or bigger. Use 18kHz for tiny objects and lower conductors from the US nickel on down the scale. 12kHz is good for all around hunting and is also a good choice for US coins in mineralized soil. TX power.....good for a slight increase in depth; keep it on three. Audio response on five. Silencer....may or may not affect depth, but it IS a filter so turning it off probably couldn't hurt. Whatever you do, don't set the silencer at four if you are using Deus version 3.0, 3.1, or 3.2, or you will lose good targets. That's about it for depth, unless you want to drop the ground balance a few points to squeeze a little more out of it. I just find it too unstable in my soil to go with a negative GB.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
8 kHz is my favorite frequency for coinshooting! The 12 kHz works well,but when using it I dig a lot of trash!:BangHead: I've had a "good" dime tone (no TID) at 7-9 inches using it,only to dig down and find a tiny piece of aluminum from a twist off cap in the bottom of the hole!:BangHead: I think for hunting small jewelry/objects,it would be the best choice. Ron

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As was said, reactivity is a HUGE help in gaining depth. I try to run 1 at most.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even at reactivity 2, the deus is reaching depths at the beaches where I just had to give up digging...
In the right conditions,the Deus isn't any slouch,when it comes down to detecting depth!:thumbsup: Even with the reactivity set to "0" the Deus is as fast as most detectors on the market!:thumbsup:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the right conditions,the Deus isn't any slouch,when it comes down to detecting depth!:thumbsup: Even with the reactivity set to "0" the Deus is as fast as most detectors on the market!:thumbsup:

Agreed!

HobbyMan

Sep 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, XP DEUS, Golden Mask 4 Pro, Teknetics Eurotek Pro 11'' DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread