what should i aim to buy at sales this weekend

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Old Folks Knowledge
Just looking for input on what to look for this weekend. I've been waiting for the first weekend of the month for, well, about a month I guess. Lot's of garage sales coming up this weekend. I'm already looking for legos and coins, but what else am I likely to find? I don't know much of glass, but I know there is always a lot of it. All I know is to buy what I think looks cool, but that isn't ever worth anything.
In the paper, there are about 6 garage sales in my little town next weekend. All that's listed is clothes

So, what would you recommend buying at a garage sale.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Im guessing you trying to resell on line, I seldom take a chance on a unknown seller for more than a few dollars, If its big dollars i call my wife at home and have her look it up for me

T

The.Boomer

If they don't have any out, ask about old jewelery, misplaced one of a kind earings etc.. Check for .925s or Karat marks also test diamonds on glass when you can. If nothing else I manage to match up single earings etc... Some times I get chains without charms and charms without chains so forth. For easy quick money, write down the names of at least fifty top designers or various womens wear, hand bags, shoes etc.... Take that list with you and check labels. Don't buy anything with a stain or needing repair. Yes you could repair it but honestly who's got the time ? Besides there's just too much good quality stuff out there for next to nothing to even consider bothering with anything less than perfect. I gather all such clothes into a big messy pile and then offer like $10.00 for the whole load. If they say no, I continue to make offers in $1.00 increments and never go over $20.00. I try to put together at least twenty items and thus will allow up to $1.00 apiece. On e-bay I get $5.00 apiece same thing on craigs list. Oh also on Craigs list be sure to place ads in closest big city if the cost to mail the Item makes it feasible, make buyers pay for mailing. Some times I've come accross people who want only one Item on my Craigs list list of Items. I list them in cost categories $5,$10,$20 and no it's no mistake I left out the $15 category. So when they want only one five dollar item and the shipping will cost them close to that I can talk them into picking out another one or two Items to make the shipping cost effective.

For those of you who skip the clothes at those yard and garage sales. I have found many people willing to part with all clothing at thier yard sale for a set ammount. It's not uncommon for me to get everything for like $50.00 After several of these anything left after weeding out the trashed junk and designer wear etc..I put together lots of dress shirts, sweaters, dress pants jeans etc... and sell them first to vintage clothing stores and then to whoever will pay on ebay. I get $100 for jeans at vintage clothing stores and more or less for other items. On ebay it could be just about anything as long as I don't suffer a loss. Whatever I can't sell goes to Salvation Army. The stuff I weed out that I don't wanna keep I burn. Well that's just a start of my Garage and yard sales program. That's what I do in the off season is work on sales of all the stuff I've bought all summer. :wink:

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Thats cool boomer Iv had a little luck on Western jeans for big girls if sold in lots, maybe a decent belt included. Really skinny girl jeans I havent had much luck with. I havent tried mens Jeans in lots but bet theyed do OK as I'v bought alot on EBAY.

T

The.Boomer

I stay away from mens clothing altogether. They rarely sell for a profit IMHO. Heck I only buy mens jewelery for melt value since men don't seem to buy used of either thing. But I have a friend that I run into at allot of yard and garage sales, He buys old tools and does really well so tht's where I'd go to sell to men. But My friend also knows how to recondition the tools he sells. Guess I'll stick with the women, besides my wife is and expert at it now days, she doesn't even need that list of designers since she's got them all in her head. ::)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1996 said:
So, what would you recommend buying at a garage sale.
guns and ammo or legos and LL BEAN clothes

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the LL bean tip. I do well with tools and auto/tactor parts, alot can be said for usfull items as opposed to collectables.
Dont ever turn down old Tractor parts still in the box.

OP
OP

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
all very good tips. most of the garage sales say clothes, so thanks for all of the input on clothes. maybe i'll get rich. i'm going to hit it early and hope to fing tools and legos, and then i'll look through the clothes .

T

The.Boomer

Last thing I want to say, don't get greedy on e-bay. Look to sell allot for a little rather than a little for allot. If your clearing a $1.00 on each item your doing good, just gotta do it a couple hundred times per month to make out. :wink:

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
As an antiques dealer my advice is to buy what you know. Unless you know something is old and it's only a quarter. I had an antique dealer friend of mine got out of the business as he was buying and re-selling womens shoes for more money than he was making in the tiques biz. Look on ebay, have you looked at how much some used clothes go for? It can be worth it. Good luck... HH

OP
OP

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
didn't find anything i was looking for. i have to be at work earlier than expected today, so we didn't really have time to go as many places as i had wanted to. i did end up buying some pretty old LaCrosse waterproof boots 60s or 70s probably. i also bought some churchill dishes, and pyrex dishes. fixing to check out ebay for prices.

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
You bought more than me today, I didn't find Squat. And yes, older pyrex and corell sells well, especially the stacking mixing bowls.

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colored glass always does better than clear glass. Red always does better than any other color. Old red glass is more valuable because they used gold in it's manufacture.

Crackle glass is usually cheap at sales and does well especially if it has a label.

Real photo postcards, especially from small obscure or no longer existent towns are really good and sometimes you can pick up piles of them for pennies.

Old 1950's wooden souvenirs are real sleepers.

Few ideas for ya. Good luck

Jim

OP
OP

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
thanks for the rules of thumb jim.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread