What should I do about a rude teller?? UPDATE

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
UPDATE posted in thread.

Over a year ago, I opened an account at a credit union because they:

1. Were super friendly.
2. Had a coin counter in the lobby.

Most of the tellers are friendly, and some of them are over the top gregarious.

Then, there is Wenda, which I am guessing is the head teller.

Wenda was fairly friendly early on, but became agitated when I started dumping $500 a week in halves into the coin machine. Since then, Wenda's attitude varies from almost decent to outright b*itch.

It is important to note that I have serious reasons to believe that Wenda's husband was buying bags off the coin counter. I can almost 100% prove that her husband is the guy buying 4 boxes a week at another branch, and is dumping them at another bank across the street. In other words, I messed up their game, and they aren't happy I am dumping searched clad into their bags.

Last week, my 10 year old found a Gladware container next to the coin machine that had 47 drywall screws, 6 screw driver bits, a handful of pipe tobacco, 4 buttons and literally 27 cents in Canadian. (One quarter, a dime, and two cents.)

My daughter is always excited to find foreign coins in rolls while we are searching for silver, and was very enthusiastic when she found the Canadian coins.

In order to teach my daughter not to steal, I encouraged her to ask the tellers politely. I don't want her to find someone's wallet someday and think it is okay to keep the $1,400 inside.

The very young teller smiled and said, "It looks like trash to me...I think it would be okay, but let me make sure."

The new young teller went to ask Wenda, who just about had a freaking cow, and turned into an instant b#itch.

"This is bank property, and NO, they CANNOT have it. ABSOLUTELY NOT, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES!!! Tell them that they shouldn't be asking...that is like stealing money from one of our customers. ASK THEM IF THEY WOULD LIKE TO HAVE SOMEONE STEAL MONEY FROM THEM!!!!

The tone of her voice was just unbelievable. Nearly a week later, I am still stunned. I truly feel that asking for the 27 cents in Canadian is about the same as asking a McDonald's manager if it is okay to keep 4 ketchup packets someone left on a table.

I will say this: I am freaking sick of that woman talking to me like I am white trash. I keep a $2,500 balance with transactions in that credit union. Other than dumping $500 to $1000 a week into their coin machine, I am a stellar customer with no overdrafts, etc.

What do you think I should I do?

1. Send an anonymous email to the CU's customer service department?
2. Walk into the CU on Friday and ask Wenda, point blank, why she thinks it is okay to talk to me like I am white trash?
3. Call or speak to her manager at the branch?
4. Go up the ladder at the CU, and tell them?
5. Give up CRH due to dismal finds and close the account?
6. Only use the other CU branch to dump?
7. Figure out which day Wenda has off each week, and dump on that day? (It seems like she is there every day!)

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Re: What should I do about a rude teller??

8. Make sure the other tellers are on lunch and Wenda is covering. Roll in a dolly of 8k in halves and dump away. Be sure to bring some sloppy burgers to eat while she has to change the bag. No need for napkins, afterall that is what the clad dumps are for. When you are all done, close the account.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

Diver_Down said:
When you are all done, close the account.

If I close this account, I am in essence quitting CRH'ing. I don't have another bank with coin counters in the lobby. (There is only one other bank in the area that does.)

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

3 (if she's not the branch manager) and 4. At the absolute least 4.

It's not bank property. It's trash and if she keeps it she can lose her job.

And if she said that over CANADIAN coins then she is 100% WRONG and should be reprimanded.
She can't even legally accept Canadian coins let alone prevent you from taking it out of the trash.

Absolutely find out who her boss is AND report her to corporate. Just be polite and professional about how to do it.

Tell exactly what happened with your daughter and don't mention CRHing. Just tell how she is not polite and how she treats you and that you are a regular banking customer at that branch.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011

SeaninNH said:
3 (if she's not the branch manager) and 4. At the absolute least 4.

It's not bank property. It's trash and if she keeps it she can lose her job.

And if she said that over CANADIAN coins then she is 100% WRONG and should be reprimanded.
She can't even legally accept Canadian coins let alone prevent you from taking it out of the trash.

Absolutely find out who her boss is AND report her to corporate. Just be polite and professional about how to do it.

Tell exactly what happened with your daughter and don't mention CRHing. Just tell how she is not polite and how she treats you and that you are a regular banking customer at that branch.

Couldn't have said it much better myself, though I'm partial to #7 as well. Definitely bring it up with the manager.

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other

Just let me meet Wanda- I will be so rude to her you will look like an angel. She will then praise you and curse me... Foolproof plan!

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other

I say dump away. Dump hard and often. Start taking 1-2k worth of halves at a time. Tell the branch manager.

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I say keep doing what you're doing and act as nothing has changed. If you dumped 2k+ at a time she'd known which bags not to buy outright. You'd be doing her a favor if you dump more at once. Do it every 2-3 days, enough to fill 1 entire bag, but hopefully you'll fill the final half of one bag and half in the other. I did that at bank today for the first time, dumped 1k halves. (tangent here) The bag filled at 496.50. I had 499.50 + two quarters from my pocket. I asked her if she'd mind if I brought in another ~500. Since they had $1000 bags I knew I wouldn't need to change the bag. Then I said I'll give you guys a break next week, thanks. I know they're probably not allowed to search the bags. But if they do I pretty much screwed them by accident. Their boxs are weird I kinda feel like they reroll their own boxes from dumps. I never marked my coins to check -- just stopped buying there and strictly dump.

Dump more frequently, not more at one time.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In my opinion it just depends on what is more important to you - trying to get this woman into trouble (over 37 cents Canadian), or continuing to CRH. You have stated that you need this dump bank in order to CRH. If you press the issue, you run the risk of losing it. Its possible that the manager would get some sort of reprimand should you file a complaint. Of course you must remember that its gonna be your word against hers. Its also entirely likely that once she informs her superiors of the guy that is complaining runs "huge" amounts of coin through the coin counter on a regular basis, that you could be cut off. IMO, you're more likely to get "fired" here than the teller.

If it happened to me, I wouldn't utter a peep, and would keep on quietly dumping away. I personally wouldn't risk my ability to CRH over 37 Canadian cents. Yes, the teller was rude and acted in an uncalled for manner. The world is full of rude people. If you want to continue in this hobby, you sometimes have to put up with rude tellers. Its part of the game. Pick your battles wisely. IMO this isn't worthy of a battle. Some things are absolutely more important than CRH. 37 Canadian cents aren't.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI

ArkieBassMan said:
In my opinion it just depends on what is more important to you - trying to get this woman into trouble (over 37 cents Canadian), or continuing to CRH. You have stated that you need this dump bank in order to CRH. If you press the issue, you run the risk of losing it. Its possible that the manager would get some sort of reprimand should you file a complaint. Of course you must remember that its gonna be your word against hers. Its also entirely likely that once she informs her superiors of the guy that is complaining runs "huge" amounts of coin through the coin counter on a regular basis, that you could be cut off. IMO, you're more likely to get "fired" here than the teller.

If it happened to me, I wouldn't utter a peep, and would keep on quietly dumping away. I personally wouldn't risk my ability to CRH over 37 Canadian cents. Yes, the teller was rude and acted in an uncalled for manner. The world is full of rude people. If you want to continue in this hobby, you sometimes have to put up with rude tellers. Its part of the game. Pick your battles wisely. IMO this isn't worthy of a battle. Some things are absolutely more important than CRH. 37 Canadian cents aren't.

I agree, In CRHing you have to let alot slide off your shoulder. Banks and credit union aren't in business to help CRHing. They generally don't make money off our activities. You said that you are a good customer because you don't have any overdrafts, WRONG!!! That's how banks make money. Banks provide many services but they earn money basically in 2 ways:
1) Loans (loaning money out at an interest rate higher than they pay for use of that money)
2) Fees (overdraft, account maintence, late payment etc)

I am a lousy customer. Because I don't generate any fees in any of the banks I have accounts with. In most banks I have a saving account with $100-$200 or whatever the mininum is to avoid fees. I don't borrow money except my mortgage and car loan.

A few banks like me, because I take away their CWR of coin and leave behind paper money. My main dump bank doesn't care.

Don't waste your time trying to figure out how to punish her, focus only on improving your CRHing game.

lovewiibrew

Mar 18, 2011
Eastern US

To be honest, I can't stand terrible customer service. Hell pm me the bank's number and I'll file a complaint against her.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

I would have to agree with the dismal finds part, really not worth it, cheaper and easier to just buy silver outright.

ScottNVAB

May 22, 2011

LOL....Hahaha! :laughing7:

Diver_Down said:
8. Make sure the other tellers are on lunch and Wenda is covering. Roll in a dolly of 8k in halves and dump away. Be sure to bring some sloppy burgers to eat while she has to change the bag. No need for napkins, afterall that is what the clad dumps are for. When you are all done, close the account.

ScottNVAB

May 22, 2011

You forgot #8.....

Go out and buy a gladware container exactly matching said container mentioned, fill it with exact same items mentioned you found were in the container...(47 drywall screws, 6 screw driver bits, a handful of pipe tobacco, 4 buttons and literally 27 cents in Canadian. (One quarter, a dime, and two cents.)).
Now take a dump (Literally) in the container. Leave it in the same place you found the original container.
Yup, it's definitely her property. Enjoy.
Seriously, J/k. Ignore it. Otherwise you will lose your dump bank if you report her for rotten attitude.
This is EXACTLY what she wants. You to go away. Keep dumpin' and smilin'! ;D

db23

Mar 18, 2011

Diver_Down said:
8. Make sure the other tellers are on lunch and Wenda is covering. Roll in a dolly of 8k in halves and dump away. Be sure to bring some sloppy burgers to eat while she has to change the bag. No need for napkins, afterall that is what the clad dumps are for. When you are all done, close the account tell her you will see her tomorrow and repeat daily.
I just fixed DD's suggestion... ;D

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

follow her to her house and take 27 cents from her

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

ArkieBassMan said:

Thank you for the good advice!

First and foremost, my OP shows that I can't count!!! I posted that it was 27 cents, but it really was 37 cents.

It really isn't about the money. I could care less about getting 37 cents Canadian. My little one loves foreign, but it is clutter to me.

What stunned me was the tone that Wenda used. I wasn't expecting to be treated like white trash, and basically yelled at over a simple question.

What is even funnier...we dumped on Tuesday at the other CU branch, and out of the internal reject bin, the teller gave us a $10 gaming token made of .999 silver. My local shop offered $17.50 +/- for it. And she gave us a Canadian half, which I had never seen before. It too is clutter, but my little one loves it.

Thank you for being a voice of reason!

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

Thank you for all of the replies!!!!!

I do appreciate them, and am considering my options.

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The next time you dump, don't take as many coins, then when you see the ornery woman tell her that you got a box with a ton of silver in it so you do not have as much to dump this week. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread