What should I do with my Copper?

CopperHoarder

Dec 23, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Don't use one yet.
Primary Interest:
Other
I currently have around 60 pounds of copper as of now, more being put in pile since I just got 2 boxes. I was wondering what people on here think I should do with them. I was thinking about putting them in 10 - 20 pound sales on ebay and just selling them that way. But I'm not 100% sure on how to ship or how to even do the process... Suggestions again would be helpful :) Thanks

Upvote 0

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
No, not dead.

II have been selling my lots for 170-180 on eBay. Even with the fees it is adding up rather quickly. I actually bought another ryedale and am going nuts with it. Clearing $50 profit for each listing is very nice. In just 2 weeks I have nearly paid for the first one.

I am also being creative with reject pile and pulling all the red 82's and selling lots of the 7 copper/zinc large/small dates. I also have a slotted tub with dates of all the errors/double dies, wide AM's etc... My son looks through these and will sell them. Already found 2 1998 Wide AM's that sold for $10 a piece. There are a lot of things to look for in that zinc pile that are worth money if you have patience.

Also piling up all the teen-30's and selling those in lots--those go for a nice premium.

My biggest advice to you if you get a ryedale--sort through the zinc pile as the majority of the pre 41's had different alloys and get missed by the test coin. I found a 1895 IH in amazing shape that was in with the ugly zincs.

Best to you

MU

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see how our estimates differ. I'm assuming $550 for a Rydale. Also if you sell on ebay to clear $50 profit you'd need to sell and ship for $190. I'd be happy to get that it I see auctions going for $160 to $175. So I'm assuming $30 to $35 profit per $100fv.

Do you work at a bank? I'm nervous to ask for more than 2 boxes at a time.

Yes, I work at a local credit union and was actually intrigued by a member who ordered 4k in dimes every week for over a year before he made some CRH 101 errors with my branch supervisor. I am able to order as much as I want which in the past few times has consisted of 4k halves and $400 pennies - however moving forward I will severely be limiting myself on the penny boxes since the halves yield much higher profits per box with considerably less effort and easier turn over time. Plus 16 boxes of pennies are heavy to carry and a pain to open every roll!

I would suggest trying your luck with ordering 3-4 boxes at a time and following the following guidelines.

1. Be truthful, its a hobby of yours, tellers don't care what you do with your money but if you lie to them about what you are doing its kind of like betraying their trust. The guy that was doing dimes at my branch had a $5 minimum balance as a member and said his "children enjoyed searching them for certain dates" etc. Find me even 1 child thats going to search 4k in dimes a week and be happy doing so - not likely.

2. Don't dump where you pick up, I am able to do this because I order the coin, I carry the coin, I run the coin through the machine either early morning before a shift or late in evening at end of shift, essentially all the teller involvement that you run into as a member/customer I can take care of for myself which allows me to do higher volume unimpeded by the boss man.

3. Build an honest and friendly relationship with the tellers and don't give grief if pennies are new or an order is somehow missed one week. If you receive new pennies just sell them on ebay for a premium or take them to dump somewhere else. There is always next week!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread