What should I do with this Gold Item????

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this several months ago, it is now my avatar pic!!!!

I have some comfusing feelings about scraping a religious item that is beautiful!!!!!

I have been thinking about having it melted down and turning it into matching rings for me and red Hers would have the 6 rubies in it! and both would have the inscription around the out side of the band that says Chug and Red (actually It would say) Trent and Denise Forever!!!! chug and red are our screen names / nick names!!!

I have been thinking about it for several weeks and would Appreciate everyone comments!!!!

All comments are welcome as they may help me in determining what I may do with this Item!!!

Attachments

• ST Barbara Medallion 001.JPG
    ST Barbara Medallion 001.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 546
OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Red just read this one and loves the idea!!! and is thinking on design ideas!!!

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
personally, I'd probably scrap it for it's gold value,
but I suppose the smart thing to do would be to
try and Ebay it for twice it's melt price first.
ya never know.

of course if you don't need the money,
and actually have extra cash
to have it turned it into rings,
Go for it.

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
I would suggest taking it somewhere to have it appraised first.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give it to me. I know it's a burden, but a burden I will have to bear. I would consider historical significance, or if there is a cultural attachment. If the rings are important to you, do that. If money is important to you, have it appraised and sell it. It's yours, so you pretty much can do what you will with it. But whatever, post the results!

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RGINN said:
Give it to me. I know it's a burden, but a burden I will have to bear. I would consider historical significance, or if there is a cultural attachment. If the rings are important to you, do that. If money is important to you, have it appraised and sell it. It's yours, so you pretty much can do what you will with it. But whatever, post the results!

I will make sure to post the results when i have made a decision!!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand how and why you would have the idea for the rings, but it's something I wouldn't do because it would cost more money than it would be worth, and I would have no real added satisfaction just bacuase it's gold I found (because it did cost me money). What I would do is sell it whatever way to get the most $$$ possible, then do with it whatever made me happy. In fact I did that last year..... found a token, sold the token, and bought a watch and had cash left over. Worked for me! :thumbsup:

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer
It sure is a nice piece and would be a shame to destroy it. I had some gold nuggets I had found melted down and made into wedding bands for my wife and myself and it cost quite a few bucks as the Manufacturing Jeweller charged by the hour. The result was worth it though. That piece would make a nice pendant as is. Lets face it, the rubies are worth zilch when it comes to value but they look good in that setting. Talk about it with a Manufacturing Jeweller before you make a decision. Hey Red, You could find a nice ring for what you would spend on getting one made, AND, you could get to keep the pendant too. Has Chug offered it to you yet? (and he could buy you a nice gold chain to wear it with) >>>> I'm outta here..................

The Cat

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess i'm in the minority here , Please don't scrap it , it is very beautiful in its present form.
put it on a nice 18k gold chain and give it to your wife , this way you can always enjoy this
incredible find . Argentium.

Michaelangelo

Jun 9, 2009
Piedmont N.C.
I'm in agreement with Argentium. Once it's melted down it's gone forever. How old and what's the history of this piece? Know you posted when found but can't find the original.

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
It is worth way more selling it whole. Retail price of 14k is .5833 of spot but a dealer will probably only give you 70% of that.

Nice find, wish I found one of those!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michaelangelo said:
I'm in agreement with Argentium. Once it's melted down it's gone forever. How old and what's the history of this piece? Know you posted when found but can't find the original.

That's a tough call. I have one piece that I've be wrestling with this same type issue for about 7 years now, still have it and I'm glad I do.......but even so.......I still wrestle with the issue every now and then. Once it's gone,....it's gone forever, no turning back. I suppose it all comes down to, "a good enough reason", otherwise wait until you're 100% certain that you have one. I've had some good opportunities to unload mine in the past but today I'm still glad I have it. :dontknow:

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I'll broadcast myself as a fool with this post.
I found a bracelet marked 14k in a bag of jewelry bought at auction. I posted the pics on Today's Finds less than 3 weeks ago. I sent it to the refiner that everyone recommended. They called and said "Sorry, there was no gold in your bag." Let me post the detail pic of the 25.6g bracelet one more time. Whatever you do with your piece, don't let it leave your hands without cash in hand.

Attachments

• detail 1.jpg
    detail 1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 294
  • detail 1.jpg
    detail 1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 279
OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had it checked three times, different places it is gold and It will not leave my hand without cash or documentation as to weight, quality of the gems, and value!!!!!! I really appreciated everyones comments!!!!

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bigscoop said:
Michaelangelo said:

That's a tough call. I have one piece that I've be wrestling with this same type issue for about 7 years now, still have it and I'm glad I do.......but even so.......I still wrestle with the issue every now and then. Once it's gone,....it's gone forever, no turning back. I suppose it all comes down to, "a good enough reason", otherwise wait until you're 100% certain that you have one. I've had some good opportunities to unload mine in the past but today I'm still glad I have it. :dontknow:

We have decided to put the ring idea on hold until we get this item appraised and learn more about it!!!

Thank you all for our comments!!!! An it is a very tough call to melt down something like this!!!!

I can now hold it in my hand again now that it's finally out of the pawn shop!!!! HH chug and red

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have done the right thing. If you do need the money at some later date it would be nice if it went to someone who would keep it for its original religious purpose....and they would no doubt be glad to pay a premium over the gold price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions