what should I do?

coon007

May 24, 2005
South Texas
Hey all

well today I think I hit the motherlode of fossils atleast shell fossils, I went out to our ranch which we have about 1 1/2 mile of water front to play with my new terramite 4x4 backhoe tractor and started to scrape the silt on the edge of the waterline. the lake is low about 25' or so and has been that way for years anyway i was loading up silt and dirt and about 4' deep I started hitting a layer sandstone but it was covered with big snail like fossils both small and large, I started breaking slabs of the sandstone or whatever it is and it had hundreds of shell and snails in the matrix. I will post pictures tommorow, but the question is what should I do should i dig as much as possible or leave them alone. I don't think I hav e a use for them and I really don't think they could be worth alot of money? who would want fossil shells and snails, hopefully i'll find a fish or something. but i'll post pictures tommorow.
George

OP
OP
coon007

coon007

May 24, 2005
South Texas
hey all
here are the picture of the snails . the large one came out of a slab of matrix and there are ton's of smaller ones just laying in layers. hey mistress send me an address and i'll send you a nice one.

Attachments

• picture 024 (2).jpg
    picture 024 (2).jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 422
OP
OP
coon007

coon007

May 24, 2005
South Texas
here another pic of the large one with a slab of matrix with shells or a picture of the bottom

Attachments

• Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 428
OP
OP
coon007

coon007

May 24, 2005
South Texas
here another one of some of the smaller ones I found every bucketful of my baby backhoe contained 20 to 30 of this little suckers. there every where ton's of them yesterday my son picked 3 - 5 gallon buckets full of snails he didn't care about nice he just picked them up thou he left some real complete beauties laying around and I really afraid to dig in the place where I found the slab sandstone type rock with the big shell. this I just took a handful and took the picture.
George

Attachments

• picture 027 (2).jpg
    picture 027 (2).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 425
OP
OP
coon007

coon007

May 24, 2005
South Texas
hey all
So what are they, what is their real name and age please let me know.
George

Attachments

• picture 027 (2).jpg
    picture 027 (2).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 415
  • picture 027 (2).jpg
    picture 027 (2).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 422

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread