Upvote 0

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your budget would allow you to pick up a decent beginner model or possibly a good used unit but if it dont have a warranty dont get it. One of the best all purpose machines out there is the MXT but it will cost you a bit more but you may be able to find a deal if you look around, check out all the reviews

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
At that price range I'd definitely look for a good used machine. This time of the year THers usually have the "hots" for some new machine and that usually means bargain prices for their used units. Right now there are no doubt 100s of guys drooling over a new machine and many will crack and sell their great machines for way under true market value. I could afford most anything I wanted but I usually bought used because having come from poverty I still respect the value of money. And too, lots of good charities need help today so I figure why be stupid with precious funds? I rarely buy a new car or new anything for that matter.

Metal detectors (like most everything) are WAY overpriced. They have to be because the market is so small and advertizing so expensive.

Anyway, besides buying used I'd recommend buying a machine with some type of warranty protection. While technically this isn't usually possible, Tesoro machines come about as close to it as one can get. I personally have purchased used machines and had them repaired FREE by the very generous and friendly folks at Tesoro. You won't match this anywhere else. And trust me, when most major brands die they're not worth fixing. The cost of repair for some models can be many 100s of dollars. I heard of one fellow who sent in his detector and got a bill of over $400 as I recall. Technician work is NOT cheap! Even a low end machine can easily cost $200 (considering all costs) for even a minor fix. And also it is a well known fact that sometimes the "fixed detector" is not really "fixed." Years ago I bought a major brand that I won't name. After warrenty it died. I sent it in, paid a fat bill, and it was junk when I received it. I got tired of the hassle and almost gave it away.

If you buy Tesoro I'd recommend the Tejon because it's their deepest and best machine (no gimmicks). If Tesoro isn't your thing, then I'd recommend buying a new low-range machine (any major brand). Some of those cheap "dime store" Chinese units sold on ebay are also acceptable but check around first and make sure you buy protected via Paypal. Actually, China now makes almost everything in most major brand detectors. Nuff said.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Badger. Most machines are too pricey. The Garret 250 is a good starter machine. About 250 to 300 dollars most places. I have one. I have 5 Garrets and Fishers. Had 9 recently. I have some specialized machines but 250 is good coin-getter. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread