What size bankroll?

tenseventyfive

Apr 25, 2010
I'm wondering what size bankroll I need to keep an active flow of coins to search. I know that the more you search, the more silver you'll find, but by the same token, all silver you find, unless you're going to cash in immediately, essentially takes AWAY from your working capital. Since my plan is to hoard the silver until prices take a real spike (into the mid 20's - mid 30's an ounce), if I find face value $25 worth of coins in a $500 box, I'm only getting back $475 to work with. I'm thinking ideally I'd like to do 2 boxes a month (halves) since after 2 weeks of searching I FINALLY found a local bank willing to order me boxes no charge, but I don't want to abuse the privelege with them. How much do you guys work with?

Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The age old question. Do what you can afford.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll find that the members here are all across the board when it comes to amount searched. There are those that only search a few rolls here and there, and there are those that search all the way to 20+ boxes per week. Most of us fall somewhere in the middle.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
AGCoinHunter said:
The age old question. Do what you can afford.
Uhm, me thinks that will NOT be a problem for you as there is just not that much Silver out there; your biggest problem will be to get rid of all that clad, I assure you of this!

e.g. just spoke to the wife she finally today finished her 6 Boxes from last 2sday, 2 were Skunks the other 4 yielded 12 %40's and a UN Coin and a Mex 50 Centavos which was a 1968, is it Silver, not sure yet. So she has to get rid of 5986 halves this week. :-\

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This question can be addressed from a few different angles , The availability of various coins
at your area banks is a factor - In my area , I pretty much have to special order boxes of halves,
whereas I can walk in to almost any bank and get boxes of dime rolls all day long . Another
factor is how efficient your routine from - pick up -search- dump - and repeat is - For example
since I can pick up dimes anywhere, any time , I can recycle the same $250 -several times a
day - This can be a very easy dump routine as well - because so many of the dimes are now
in plastic (see thru ) rolls - and you dont have to open any until you see the silver rim. This
assumes that you are only silver searching. A lot of banks will cash you out for these unopened
rolls -no coin counters necessary - Just a couple of observations - Argentium.

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
I turn over $1000 as often as I can. About once a week, sometimes more. The only thing that would put a dent in your bankroll, really would be halves. If you bought a $500 box of dimes, you would be lucky to keep 10, a $500 box of quarters, you would be lucky to keep 4. Either way we are looking at replacing a dollar. If you should be lucky enough to score big on a box of halves, you could keep the 90% coins, 1964 and earlier and sell off some of the 40% coins to either replace your working capital or to increase it.

I don't see where it would be a problem. If it does become a problem, you will be doing very well and finding lots of silver.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
tenseventyfive said:
I'm wondering what size bankroll I need to keep an active flow of coins to search. I know that the more you search, the more silver you'll find, but by the same token, all silver you find, unless you're going to cash in immediately, essentially takes AWAY from your working capital. Since my plan is to hoard the silver until prices take a real spike (into the mid 20's - mid 30's an ounce), if I find face value $25 worth of coins in a $500 box, I'm only getting back $475 to work with. I'm thinking ideally I'd like to do 2 boxes a month (halves) since after 2 weeks of searching I FINALLY found a local bank willing to order me boxes no charge, but I don't want to abuse the privelege with them. How much do you guys work with?

Here is what I did. I had a big tag sale. Got rid of a bunch of useless stuff I've collected over the years. This started me off. Then I sold some coins, so I could expand my search and maintain my CRH funds which I turn over twice a week.
I'm always on the edge so a serious dream box or two could wipe me out. Fortunately the chance of that happening is about the same as me sprouting wings and flying to the bank.
HH
Rich

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
tenseventyfive said:

Here is what I did. I had a big tag sale. Got rid of a bunch of useless stuff I've collected over the years. This started me off. Then I sold some coins, so I could expand my search and maintain my CRH funds which I turn over twice a week.
I'm always on the edge so a serious dream box or two could wipe me out. Fortunately the chance of that happening is about the same as me sprouting wings and flying to the bank.
HH
Rich

Rich, I will take that kind of wipe out any day... :)

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
dave5710 said:
Yes, those "Dream boxes" are a terrible set back.
Even my best set of Boxes in one week only took $379 out of my ca$h flow, i still say that is not gonna be any kind of problem lest that happens week in week out, then you'd just have to get a job or sell some, maybe part of your %40 hoard.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
HH
Rich

If I ever run into a problem CRHing, I sure hope its this one! ;D Gosh I would hate to turn every single extra dollar I could scrape up into silver at face value. ::)

OP
OP
tenseventyfive

tenseventyfive

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks guys - I appreciate all the info - I'm figuring to use about $500 to start so I can do boxes of halves, and replace any cash out of pocket. I only found one bank so far who will order boxes no charge, and I don't want to rain orders on them (I won't dump there either), so until I find another I will prob keep it to one box a week or so.

Thanks again!

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol Mr. Hartford.

I buy 3 boxes of halves per week, along with at least one box of nickels and cents. Wish I had time to do more.

I dump the very next day to keep my funds "fluid." If not, I have to wait a pay check or two to recoup. I am saving "x" amount out of every pay check so I can expand. Still have those darn kids in college (3)--yes three!!! So they really put a dent in my hobby.

apush :read2:

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I read somewhere if you don't have $100,000 you shouldn't even bother.... :wink:

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
obedia answered your question the best i think. you can only do the amount that you can successfully dump. dumping is my main problem. being in a small town my banks are limited. only one bank (with 3 branches) has counters, and all three branches are tired of me.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
ArkieBassMan said:
Rich Hartford said:
HH
Rich

If I ever run into a problem CRHing, I sure hope its this one! ;D Gosh I would hate to turn every single extra dollar I could scrape up into silver at face value. ::)
What a nightmare too!

Kauka

Apr 22, 2010
sure wish I would have a day in which my funds were wiped due to "dream boxes"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread