What State did you find Spanish Silver in ??

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a 1/2, 1 and 4 real today, at my local coin shop, and bought all of them :laughing7:. Does that count? All 18th century, and all Charles III except the 1795 1 real.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I have 100 -ish, all from CA .

HOW! I struggled for so long to find one! Need a hunting partner? Perfectly happy to move to CA for that reason lol!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, I dig everything above iron, no exceptions lol. My Spanish silver showed up as a zinc cent I think. And it was a half real, not a one real as I said before, sorry I got confused! 80% of the buttons I find sound like foil or pull tabs, same as shotgun shells. It is worth digging everything.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found 3 half reales in Rhode Island. A 1773, a 1776 and a 1784.

P.S. Nice to see that new member with the "Skynyrd" handle! Free Bird!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found absolutely no Spanish silver in New Jersey. Def go to those other states

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug mine in Ohio in 2016. My oldest silver (1/2 real)

20160604_163257.jpg 20160604_163310.jpg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....Here's the trick, dig everything, especially zinc penny hits. Much of what's left are half reales and they are mostly worn thin. If you're just digging perfect dime signals then good luck finding one.

Great Tip.... no one wants to dig zink..... Hmmmmm

^ ^ A comment to add to the above ^ ^ The advice to "dig all zinc signals" is fine. Because, sure, a thin half reale does indeed read down a tad below copper penny, down into the zinc range. Sure. That's a "given". But also the MUCH BIGGER part of the recipe is "location location location". Because I can think of places where you can "dig zinc pennies till the cows come home", and will always/only/ever get .... doh ... Zinc pennies. Modern parks (or even old parks that are heavily used in modern times) will net you 100% zinc pennies.

But sure, if you're in a relicky ruins site (cellar holes, adobe sites, spanish frontier site, etc...) then sure, dig the "zinc penny signals"

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i have personally found 9, found one 1/2 real in ct and eight reales in va; they were 3 half reals, one 1 real, a half cut 2, a quarter cut 2, an 8th cut 2, and a 1/2 cut eight

dig wonky signals, the small ones sound like pull tabs, and cut ones could sound bad too.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... dig wonky signals, the small ones sound like pull tabs, and cut ones could sound bad too.

And also: Do the above advice in places that are likely to have reales, in the first place. Because there are lots of locations where digging wonky signals and pull-tab signals will net you only pulltabs and wonky junk. Hence: "location location location" :)

oldsilver

Feb 20, 2017
East Coast-Mid Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Started with a Garrett. I think I've probably tried everything make and model from 1977, all the way to the up to the E-trac and GPX 4800.
Nothing new as for me now, I am pretty much handicapped.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
got 2 in jersey...

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
^ ^ A comment to add to the above ^ ^ The advice to "dig all zinc signals" is fine. Because, sure, a thin half reale does indeed read down a tad below copper penny, down into the zinc range. Sure. That's a "given". But also the MUCH BIGGER part of the recipe is "location location location". Because I can think of places where you can "dig zinc pennies till the cows come home", and will always/only/ever get .... doh ... Zinc pennies. Modern parks (or even old parks that are heavily used in modern times) will net you 100% zinc pennies.

But sure, if you're in a relicky ruins site (cellar holes, adobe sites, spanish frontier site, etc...) then sure, dig the "zinc penny signals"

Mine rang in as a high tone. I ignore shallow zinc at schools, but deeper zinc signals are normally indian head cents

NorthernTesoro

Oct 3, 2014
Colorado (Formerly MN)
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
New Orleans Louisiana

1828 Spanish Mexican 8 Reales View attachment 1425167 View attachment 1425168 View attachment 1425169 View attachment 1425170

My pride and joy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truth1253 Man you are one lucky Treasure Hunter! If only that coin could talk! It somehow escaped the melters pot at the New Orleans mint as most of the incoming Mexican coins in those years were melted to be re struck as American coins since the US didn't have a reliable source of silver yet. And to top it off, it's a scarce Durango 8R! Very nice, I have a 1827 myself.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found 3 in two years of detecting. Two cobs and 1/4 cut Pistareen all 1720s or earlier. I have yet to find any late 1700s-early 1800s which should be much easier to find

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Pics or it never happened! : ) :notworthy:

Haha, one of these days I should :) They're in various site-specific shadow box displays in my cabinets. And some that had no specific rhyme or reason to a specific site, are in a tray for those that I didn't keep site specific. So it would take-some-doing to undo all the trays, and then turn around get them back into the trays. And 7 to 10 are gone now, d/t went to land-owners, museums, and I sold 2 , if I recall.

Also: In that 100, I'm probably having to include Mexican reales. Their period was starting from 1823. And although the reale system of money-denomination went to the late 1800's, I only consider those that pre-date about 1850 to be "mexican reales" from a CA perspective. If they're into the 1860s or 1890s , I just consider those foreign old coins that happened to get here. Versus coins that were here from the time this was actually Mexican territory.

Most of the reales we get here in CA are Spanish. Since that period of time was longer lived, and since, of course, Spanish ones continued to circulate even into Mexican times and even early state-hood times. So of all my reales, probably 85% of them are Spanish.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth1253 Man you are one lucky Treasure Hunter! If only that coin could talk! It somehow escaped the melters pot at the New Orleans mint as most of the incoming Mexican coins in those years were melted to be re struck as American coins since the US didn't have a reliable source of silver yet. And to top it off, it's a scarce Durango 8R! Very nice, I have a 1827 myself.

Really?!!! I found it in a sidewalk strip next to a old 1800's Masonic Lodge that is near a river that they use to bring oxen and other good to our town from New Orleans. It was 8" and solid black. You are the first person to tell me about the Durango 8R aspect. Now I want to research it more. I just kissed it......again. Lol

If you know more I'd love to hear it. Thank you soooo much.

I've been Metal Detecting for 1.5 years, I found it 6 months into detecting. I metal detect at least 5x's a week. Totally addicted like a nut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread