what the heck is this thing?

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it doesn’t have any metal in it. It was just in a hole I dug for something else. It looked odd so I grabbed it. I thought it was a rock. But doesn’t seem strong enough for it to be one. Chunks can break off with enough pressure from my fingers. So I have no idea what this thing is. Did I find the mosquito from jurassic Park embossed in amber sap? Lol...or is it a piece of dryed up whale vomit?lol Apparently the fresh stuff sometimes washes up on shore. If anyone ever comes across one of those while on the beach. Thank your lucky stars because it’s extremely valuable to the people who make cologne and perfume. I remember reading a story a few years back about a guy walking his dog on some beach in France. Found a small pile of the stuff. He ended up getting paid like 40k! Keep you eyes open when walking those beaches people. Well I guess all you need is your nose. Apparently it smells horrible. Obviously that’s not what I have here. Am I a total noob, and you guys find these all the time? I haven’t done any google searches yet.

F419266C-C2C0-456B-9F1B-39C1925F6A5F.jpeg

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Did someone throw out a bag of mortar mix? Over time the paper rots away and the mortar turns into a stone-like clump. Considerably softer than stone, obviously. Just a guess.
HH
dts

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did someone throw out a bag of mortar mix? Over time the paper rots away and the mortar turns into a stone-like clump. Considerably softer than stone, obviously. Just a guess.
HH
dts

I agree with dts52. Mortar, clay, mud. Something like that.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Some might call it Leverite for leave it right where you found it. Its most likely worthless and of no interest to anybody. Maybe something from construction, mortar, plaster, clay, mud etc. Welcome to the hobby.

Upvote 0

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Some might call it Leverite for leave it right where you found it. Its most likely worthless and of no interest to anybody. Maybe something from construction, mortar, plaster, clay, mud etc. Welcome to the hobby.

I’ve found lots of Leverite in my years of MDing! :BangHead:
dts

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. The mortar mix is probably the best/closest answer I’ll get. Which I would be 100% on board with if it was found on the surface. Not in the ground 2 feet down. Not to say it couldn’t of found its way down there. So I’m probably at like 80% that it is a old piece of thinset or some other type of mortar. I guess I’ll break it in half and take a look inside it. I obviously knew it didn’t have any monetary value when I picked it up. But I have personally never seen anything like it before so it peaked my curiosity. For me it’s more about uncovering history. Trying to learn about the people who were in the area long ago. From things i dig out of the ground. This particular area of Maine is close to Fort William Henry. Which was attacked, leveled and burned 2-3 times.. But there was a Native American population close by that traded with the people of the fort. I’m also just downstream of an old archaeological site run by the state college system. so Native Americans were all around the area. So that coupled with the fact I’ve never seen anything quite like it. Caused me to pick up an old clump of mortar mix. Oh well..

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks everyone. The mortar mix is probably the best/closest answer I’ll get. Which I would be 100% on board with if it was found on the surface. Not in the ground 2 feet down. Not to say it couldn’t of found its way down there. So I’m probably at like 80% that it is a old piece of thinset or some other type of mortar. I guess I’ll break it in half and take a look inside it. I obviously knew it didn’t have any monetary value when I picked it up. But I have personally never seen anything like it before so it peaked my curiosity. For me it’s more about uncovering history. Trying to learn about the people who were in the area long ago. From things i dig out of the ground. This particular area of Maine is close to Fort William Henry. Which was attacked, leveled and burned 2-3 times.. But there was a Native American population close by that traded with the people of the fort. I’m also just downstream of an old archaeological site run by the state college system. so Native Americans were all around the area. So that coupled with the fact I’ve never seen anything quite like it. Caused me to pick up an old clump of mortar mix. Oh well..
Only if there was no construction, homesteads, farming or road building in the area or the soil has never been moved would it be unusual. There is all kinds of stuff to be found 2 feet down in human habitated areas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread