What The Heck

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Have to say western Maryland seems to be one of the hardest places on earth to dig. Denied everywhere........people seem to think im some kind of criminal for wanted to metal detect.

What type of private property places were you asking to detect at ?

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They must have watched Savage on the Spike network.That show should be banned!

OP
OP
Q

QAnnesRevenge

Greenie
Mar 14, 2013
City owned properties, public schools, and most dissapointing a circa 1700s ABANDONED home......

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as private property, keep asking. I knock on doors and get a lot of no's but always love the occasional yes.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was door knocking and received yes responses and especially if the person was Older, whatever that might mean, I would ask if there was anything I could do for them, help out type of what can I do for you. Giving back is a fun thing!.....................63bkpkr

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely. I always put everything out so they can see what I found and I knock on the door to show them when finished. It's fun and they sometimes keep momentos they lost years ago like a child's toy. A lot of fun to show them what they were walking over for years.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely. I always put everything out so they can see what I found and I knock on the door to show them when finished. It's fun and they sometimes keep momentos they lost years ago like a child's toy. A lot of fun to show them what they were walking over for years.

And as you leave it's a good time to ask: "Do you know any neighbors who might let me detect?"

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
City owned properties, public schools, and ......

QAnnesRevenge, this is amongst the places you found "no's" at, right? Then you are now the latest member of the "no one cared till you asked" club.

There probably was no actual rule that said "no metal detecting" But what do you *think* the easy answer was going to be for a desk-bound bureaucrat? The mere fact that you felt you had to ask, simply infers that something is wrong, or damaging, or evil, that you had to ask, to begin with (lest why would you ask, if it were innocuous and harmless?). For example, would you have felt the need to ask if you can fly frisbees in the park or school yard? No. Of course not.

In the future, look up city codes, laws, rules, ordinances, for yourself. If you see no rule that says "no metal detecting", the presto, there's your answer. It's not prohibited. No need to ask "can I?" for an activity for which there is no prohibition.

The sad part is, guess what's going to happen the next time those city persons you asked see ANOTHER md'r in the park, school, etc...? They'll remember your inquiry, and think "aha! there's one of THEM", and start booting others (whom they'd probably have never even noticed or paid a second glance to).

The only thing you need to ask for is: a) if there were a rule saying "no metal detecting" (because maybe you want to find out a way-around-that), or b) private property.

Naturally ...... even if there's no prohibitions, you still use common sense. Don't go tromping around obvious historic monuments, waltzing over beach blankets at high traffic times, parading yourself in front of gardeners, etc.. Pick low traffic times, since this is admittedly an odd hobby that draws lookie-lous.

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very good points. I have looked up city code in the suburbs and am lucky that most offer no cost permits to those in our hobby.

OP
OP
Q

QAnnesRevenge

Greenie
Mar 14, 2013
Good points indeed Tom never really looked at it from that perspective. Thank you for the insight and I will do my code/law research in the future.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom is right it has been posted on here many times..... If you do not see any signs that say no detecting........ Go detect ..... When you ask a any government agency..... 99% of the time they will tell you no........ Then you start them thinking ..... They start to make laws about no detecting on there public land ..... That is how we get those no detecting laws made by asking to detect in parks , schools . city owned land ..... SO QUIT ASKING ANY GOVERNMENT AGENCY FOR PERMISSION WHEN YOU DO NOT NEED IT ........... AS YOU SAW IT WORKED OUT BAD FOR YOU.....

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Maryland is like Virginia then any state owned property is off limits even if not posted. So be careful.
It only takes one good site to keep you busy for years so do your research and keep knocking on doors. :icon_thumleft:

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty soon we may have to ask the government for a hip replacement.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
If Maryland is like Virginia then any state owned property is off limits even if not posted. So be careful.
It only takes one good site to keep you busy for years so do your research and keep knocking on doors. :icon_thumleft:

Well, I think when someone says "... if it's not posted ...", that this would also encompass rules which are there "on the books", but aren't necessarily posted on the wooden signs at the park entrance. For example, nudity is probably not listed as a prohibition on the park sign, right? Yet it IS on the books, that can be looked up for oneself, at city level. And thus, no, you need not ask "can I be nude in the park?" because you can avail yourself of that law, by looking it up for yourself.

And let's not fool ourselves guys: just because there isn't a *specific" rule that says "no metal detecting", still doesn't gaurantee that we'll all be able to waltz nilly willy anywhere we want, at any time, etc... If someone "appraises you otherwise" (that they think something else applies), fine, give lip service, and avoid that person in the future. I mean, we still gotta use a little common sense.

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I think when someone says "... if it's not posted ...", that this would also encompass rules which are there "on the books", but aren't necessarily posted on the wooden signs at the park entrance. For example, nudity is probably not listed as a prohibition on the park sign, right? Yet it IS on the books, that can be looked up for oneself, at city level. And thus, no, you need not ask "can I be nude in the park?" because you can avail yourself of that law, by looking it up for yourself.

And let's not fool ourselves guys: just because there isn't a *specific" rule that says "no metal detecting", still doesn't gaurantee that we'll all be able to waltz nilly willy anywhere we want, at any time, etc... If someone "appraises you otherwise" (that they think something else applies), fine, give lip service, and avoid that person in the future. I mean, we still gotta use a little common sense.

Very good point. I did research here in Tucson and suburbs and found very specific no cost permits regarding the parks. If I didn't find the permit process on line, I definitely wouldn't have asked. At least I can show if approached that I have the absolute right to be there.

I have been approached before and have simply stated that the city knew I was there. He still wasn't happy I was digging but I just kept on going.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions