what to buy

yoteseeker

Sep 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a garret in mid 80's and a whites mdx in late 90's, liked them both. I now want start detecting again after 15 yr absence.Looking at
a fisher f4,minelab 305 or garret 350. Price not important.Will mostly use for coin hunting.Thoughts,preferance? Leaning toward 350.Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of the ones you mentioned, I would go with the F4, or 305. The F4 is nice as it comes with a sweet DD coil. You get a lot more performance and features for the money than you do with the Garrett.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post. So, welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
2nd - You didn't mention your state (or country) - but you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
3rd - Whatever MD you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It helps if you could tell a little about what you want to hunt, and where. Some folks here most likely do the same and can tell you what they are using and what works for them. There is no all around detector, most shoot coins and are single frequency VLF. The coil mentioned above is a killer coil. Most of the sponsors on here can also help you with your purchase. The detector I want isnt made yet, but they are getting close lol. I hunt with a guy who is new to the hobby, he has a T2. It keeps up with my F75, may be better in some cases. The F75 has 500 settings, i use two of em lol. There are things like a screen that displays numbers, or a waterproof machine. You have done this before so you know what you liked before. There is no bad detectors out there, just some that go a little deeper, or discriminate a little better. Im a old guy with a bad back, the light weight Fisher I own is good on battery's, and loves silver coins. It is backlighted so I can hunt in the dark. There is a long list of things I could say, but want you to get the detector you want. Talk to Bart, or Kellyco, or any of the sponsors here. My advice is biased, and most folk will talk up their detector.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly if price isn't important why r u settling for a bottom of the line detector.

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I would go for a white xlt or dfx from whites or a tesoro vaquero.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are all good entry level machines. The F4 and X305 have ground balance capabilities, so if have mineralized soil, they will do better than the Ace 350. In normal soil, the two with DD coils will give you better depth. If money is no object, you might consider the AT Pro in the mix - gives you waterproof capabilities, and it's a great relic , coin, and jewelry detector.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...dont know much about the other machines...BUT..I have heard MANY people that DIDNT like the ACE 350...

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at the duck dynsty banner at kellyco. They are selling a camo detector with gps, for $325.00 I believe. Do a compare and you may find this is a good one to just scrub the park turf with once a week or so. Im considering getting one.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
since you live in AZ I would definely look into something that also will detect gold nuggets. I have the whites DFX and it has a prospecting program in it. Just my 2 cent. What ever you buy good luck and welcome to Tnet.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have limited experience metal detecting, but have done alot of comparing md's before finally ordering one this morning. I had all but pulled the trigger on a Fisher until i talked to a Fisher dealer. Unaware of it, he talked me out of it...I decided on the AT Pro from Garrett. Here is why...It is very light, versatile, WATERPROOF, and also cheaper then anything comparable. Also fairly easy to operate, even for a newbie like me. It is rated to read about 2 inches deeper than the ACE350.....and its WATERPROOF! I didnt research the f4, but the f2 was on my stepdads list until a youtube video showed the ACE250 blow it out of the water in a depth test. The f2 struggled to find a quarter at 4 inches in wet sand. I do believe the 350 will suit you if your not worried about the extras of the AT pro......Most all the AT Pro haters are using $1500+ detectors...so there you go. I dont beleive you can buy a better machine for the price.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have limited experience metal detecting, but have done alot of comparing md's before finally ordering one this morning. I had all but pulled the trigger on a Fisher until i talked to a Fisher dealer. Unaware of it, he talked me out of it...I decided on the AT Pro from Garrett. Here is why...It is very light, versatile, WATERPROOF, and also cheaper then anything comparable. Also fairly easy to operate, even for a newbie like me. It is rated to read about 2 inches deeper than the ACE350.....and its WATERPROOF! I didnt research the f4, but the f2 was on my stepdads list until a youtube video showed the ACE250 blow it out of the water in a depth test. The f2 struggled to find a quarter at 4 inches in wet sand. I do believe the 350 will suit you if your not worried about the extras of the AT pro......Most all the AT Pro haters are using $1500+ detectors...so there you go. I dont beleive you can buy a better machine for the price.

You must have found the one and only test that shows the ace 250 beat the f2. My f2 finds dimes at 8" with the 4" coil. The general concensus on this forum is the f2 is a much better machine. Ive seen 2 AT pros break off at the control box. Not good for a $600 machine

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess if its on the internet it must be true. By the way I'm a French model.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
It all comes down to this........ The more the ask the more different answers you will get ..... And it will be your detector ...It is up to you to decide on what detector to buy you have to make up your own mind what you want........... It is not for others to make your decision's for you ..... You have to make that decision...........

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Being in Az I'd go with something like an AT Gold.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe an xterra? The 505 & 705 can run 3 different frequencies. With the right coils it can be a nugget shooter one day, and a silver killer the next day!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions