Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my spring break is coming up next week, and while most college students will be drinking and partying the week away, I will be at home house sitting while my parents are in Florida. :-\

Since I just started roll hunting last week, I haven't really had the chance to hunt over $100 worth of coins. I have had quite good luck hunting pennies and nickels. But now I want something more. I'm going to venture into the realm of halves. The reason I haven't tried halves is because I just don't have $500 or $1000 laying around to exchange for halves. But since I will be back in my hometown, I will be able to access my bank account free of charge without paying fees to use other banks' ATM's. ;D

My plan is to travel to the banks in my area (about 40 of them) and take a few halves here and there, dump them at my hometown bank (I really don't like the tellers there) and go back to those other banks every couple days and get more halves.

This will be a new adventure for me since I just got into roll hunting. I'm excited about the possibilities this hunt has. Even if I don't get lots of silver, it will still be fun. Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to tell my story. I'll let you know of my findings later next week!

Upvote 0

davycoppit

Feb 20, 2007
MN
I was just about to post this exact same thing. One more test then it is spring break for me too. All my friends are working or going someplace, so I am going to try to hit every bank in St. Paul. I have nothing to do the whole week, so I am going to try to go coin hunting as much as possible. Too bad we didn't live in the same area we could tagteam, but I guess its good so we won't get in each others way. Best of luck to you.

david

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck to you guys.....please keep us posted and I hope you have alot of success.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, the parents are gonna be gone. How much cash do they have just sitting around the house? Heck, you could probably pawn some of their really nice stuff, go buy all the halves at the bank, sell the silver for profit, buy your stuff back from the pawn broker and be money ahead. What do they teach in college these days? Don't they have a marketing class or something?

OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
So, the parents are gonna be gone. How much cash do they have just sitting around the house? Heck, you could probably pawn some of their really nice stuff, go buy all the halves at the bank, sell the silver for profit, buy your stuff back from the pawn broker and be money ahead. What do they teach in college these days? Don't they have a marketing class or something?

It's funny that you ask what they teach in college. I'm in an Economics class right now and my professor is an avid coin collector. I've never talked to him personally, but he did mention the price of silver and how people that have lots of silver coins are in a good spot financially due to the price of silver. Also, I don't need to pawn my parents stuff for money, I have a good amount of money left from my student loan that's sitting idle in my bank account. ;D I've been thinking about using a little of that to get a jump start to coin hunting since I can't lose any of the money, unless some freak accident happens.

MikeTN

Feb 19, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
packerbacker said:

LOL!!!! Now that is a plan! LOL

Mike

T

TreasureTales

You two college students are very bright. Yippee, there's hope for the future afterall! ;) While your classmates are down at the booze and sex orgies puking their brains out and hoping they didn't knock up some co-ed, you guys are setting up nice nest eggs for your futures. It may not seem like it now, but you really are doing the right thing. Remember, all they'll have for their week of partying is a hangover and a few hickeys, you guys will have SILVER. Please keep us posted on your CRH. Uh, and let us know how your buddies made out...just for old time's sake, OK?

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Rent the movie "Risky Business"

I guarantee if you follow the instructions in the movie, you won't have time for Coin Hunting. Good Luck, Jim

OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I'm about to hit up my first 7 of many banks for the week. Wish me luck! I'll be sure to keep everyone posted!

OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far today...26 rolls searched

1 - 1967
2 - 1968
1 - 1969

Also a 2002-D

T

TreasureTales

willypurdue said:
So far today...26 rolls searched

1 - 1967
2 - 1968
1 - 1969

Also a 2002-D

WTG. Sure beats puking, doesn't it!!!

davycoppit

Feb 20, 2007
MN
Nice, your beating me so far. Today I got a war nickel. A 1944 S. And four wheat pennies. good luck to you over the rest of break.

david

OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaned out 2 banks for a total of 28 rolls, resulting in only 2-40% on the day. I also found out that this was the dumping area of another collector around here, so that's probably why I've had bad luck.

Thats one area of banks down, now I'm moving on to the next area around me. I'll keep ya posted.

OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok ladies and gentlemen, I promised I would keep you posted, so here it is.....

Pennies
2 Boxes searched
- 1 sealed Brinks Box: 6 Wheat Pennies
- 1 Box rolled and sealed from my bank: 2 Wheat Pennies

Nickels
1 Box and 70 rolls from random banks searched
- 4 War Nickels: 3-1942P 1-1944P
- 66 Pre-1960 Nickels (Mainly 1958's and 1959's)

Halves
Cleaned out 2 banks and got a few other rolls from a couple random banks
- 6-40%

I also searched through a couple jars of change my parents had and found a few wheat pennies and a few pre-1960 nickels but those aren't included in my totals.

I really wanted to search more, but the banks around me are very stingy about giving out rolls in large amounts. Oh well, I'm back at school now and the banks here don't mind how much they give out. There are also a few cute tellers that I have started talking to, so maybe they can help me out with the hunting. ;)

I'll get a picture of the finds up by tonight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread