What to do with boxes of new coins?

jasonscoins

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been getting hit hard lately with dime boxes that are filled with nothing but brand new 2013s. Sucks. Do you guys run into this problem and what do you do. Are most banks willing to just do a straight-up trade new for old? Not sure if they get wary of trading coins, etc.

I hate just having to open them all, then dump them all and lug them to the coin count machine. Is there a better way than just asking for a trade? Thoughts?

Upvote 0

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't open the rolls, just dump the whole box. Preferably outside yr normal bank route if you are doing a switch.

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
There's a lot of banks that will buy them as long as they're still wrapped. One of my branches knows that I'm a coin collector (they don't quite know the volume I do though), and they check to make sure the coins aren't 2013's. They used to open them in front of me...now they just don't come back from the vault until they have a non-2013 box. Sometimes you just gotta work through those boxes to get to the ones you want. A lot of CRHing is manipulating your current banking situation to produce numbers you're satisfied with. I feel it's good to try a bunch of different things to see what works and what doesn't.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jason, you answered your own question. Yes by all means trade them. Most banks will happily trade you customer rolls for machine rolls and the customer rolls have big potential as long as they aren't someone's dumps. Try banks that don't have a coin counter. If you have good tellers who like you, ask them to look at the holes in the box for any discolored (not new) coins when you are picking up. If you can see one roll with a dirty coin on the end then it should be a mixed date box. Good luck and HH

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive stopped doing dimes because all I was getting were the new ones as well- my main 2 branches were checking them for me but they werent getting anything but all new dimes so I told them to hold my orders on them for a couple months- ill pick dimes back up aftrr summer is over

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

maxgold84

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2013
This morning I picked up some rolls of dimes. I only scored on 1 roll that had 1 1964, but I did find two very interesting rolls. Two rolls, which appeared to be very old had only 1965, 1966, and 1967 dimes in them. All in BU condition. I think that I'm the only person that has seen these coins in years. To my knowledge they are just worth face value, but I'm not positive. Has anyone had a similar experience? Are they worth anything?

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just hold them for a while on hand. Sometimes I may get a great box so I want to get a couple of "chasing" boxes from the same branch. Since they usually won't order excess boxes so I have to trade a box with them to keep their normal business activities running before next order coming in.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold some last year, the LCS gave me between $10 and $20 over face for the boxes. I just bought silver coins with that. Not a bad haul.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread