What to do with clads

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
Upvote 0
I save my change every year for fall hunting trips. I throw clad in with my other pocket change and cash it in in October.

I just save it up havn't decided what to do with it yet, maybe use it towards an upgrade on detector.

8) SAVED UP MINE FOR 3 YEARS PAID FOR MY NEW DFX, MADE IT WORTH WHILE TO SAVE IT ,SO NICE TO BE ABLE TO BUY A NEW ONE AND NOT HAVE TO MISS SAVING MONEY OUT OF YOU PAY CHECK ,HAPPY HUNTIN

I have several; mason jars full of it. I rinse it and let it dry and put it in jars. May clean it up and cash it in one day or I may just hide it in the ground one day so some one with a detector can find it 50 years from now. If the government has not decided that detecting is hazardous to your health and banned it by then.

Used to save it for 1 full yr and clean/roll it up in Dec of each yr (then) cash it in for extra christmas $$! That was when my son was small, and I would buy extra toys/etc. for him for christams! Now, he's 13 and we just save it to buy MORE detecting equpiment when needed/wanted!

Best yr of clad savings was over $500 (2nd best = over $400).

I don't hunt for it anymore so a good yr now is about $150 or so- finding it here and there as I go.

Son probably finds about the same..

The Quarters get used at the Car Wash, Laundramat, In the Photo Copier at the Library, Soda Machines, etc. .......... Dimes & nickels get Mixed with New Change & spent at the stores when I buy things, & the Pennies get Put in a Large Water Jug, till it's full. then it goes to the Bank for them to Sort out & worry about

Some of the stores around here have the machines that you just dump your change into the hopper, it sorts and counts and gives you bills. They take a percentage, just under 9%, but you don't have to clean them all that well and no stuffing into rolls. Personally haven't used one but planning on it when I get a couple of jars worth.

I clean them til shiney, then display each in small glass milk bottles. I am waiting til I get about $1000 in clad before i decide to buy something (probably a new detector).

great feed back everyone! we all have interesting ideas.bottom line for me though is it feels good putting something either on display or back in circulation that if it wasn't for us would stay unnoticed and buried for possibly ever.

bigrig

I use them to buy more expensive coins at the coin shop when I have enough. Something that will appreciate like proof sets.

I have a cash box with a cash register type drawer in it. I throw my clad finds and pocket change in there and roll it up periodically and deposit it in my mad money (translated means BEER money) savings account at the local neighboorhood bank. With 4 kids, a wife, a dog and a mortgage, my hunting time far outweighs my beer drinking time, so I have quite the mad money balance saved up. I think I'm going to use some of it to get the wife a real nice anniversary gift this year, so she won't nag me so much about my detecting time, lol! HH ALL!!

Coffee cans, use to offset compet. hunts. Got 1.10 from local coinstar the other day-dropped back down into reject slot.

I have an old trusty coin seperator that I use to filter it all into rolls after I've cleaned them. I always double check to make sure I am not letting any valuable stuff sneak through first of course. After that they go into the safe until I get enough that I feel comfortable hauling to the bank (usually only once or twice a year).

Most foreign clad, including Hoserian clad, goes into the safe as well, where I suspect it will sit til I die. :P

Doc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back