What to do with CRH spoils (40%/90%)

greedygecko

Oct 14, 2008
Tampa, FL
Hello all,

I'm figuring with the level of experience on the board, some of you could help me out with some suggestions. If I was looking to "trade up" several rolls of 40%'s into a smaller quantity of 90%'s, what would be the best way to do this. Obviously I could sell the 40%'s on ebay, but figure the charges would eat into my ability to acquire 90%'s.

If I found someone willing to trade, what would a fair ratio look like? ???

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Trade (5) 40s for (2) 90s. That should be fair enough to both parties. Sounds okay to me. Jim

gotgot

Dec 29, 2008
9/4 but due to the melt differential (i.e. 40% = greater melt cost) 5/2 as stated above is a fairer ratio, in my opinion.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Why not keep all the 90s you find, and trade your 40s in for .999 silver if you want out of them. Most coin dealers are not going to do a straight trade, in that you will get hit on the sale side and pay a premium on the buy side and will still be in junk silver. In some places the premiums on 90% are higher per ounce of silver than on some decent .999 bars and rounds.

I don't think many private owners would rather have 40s than 90s, so on any trade you will probably be giving up more than you are getting in value, except for coolpix's offer/suggestion. If you can get 2- 90s for giving up 5- 40s that would be a good deal for you money wise.

Jim

OP
OP
greedygecko

greedygecko

Oct 14, 2008
Tampa, FL
Thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely holding on the 90's I have found...

5/2 certainly seems fair to me.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
greedygecko said:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely holding on the 90's I have found...

5/2 certainly seems fair to me.

5/2 is about right but you might have to go to a 3/1. 3 rolls for 1 roll to make it happen.

Mojo

OP
OP
greedygecko

greedygecko

Oct 14, 2008
Tampa, FL
coinmojo said:
5/2 is about right...

I guess the obligatory question then is whether there are any takers at 5/2 since that seems to be the consensus. If I get any PM's, I will respond this evening.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
id just wait for silverr to get higher, sell all your 40%ers out right. Then wait again for the price to drop out like it did this past oct/nov and buy up as much 90%ers as u can. That why u get ther most bang for your buck

packfan_1982

Jun 22, 2008
Omaha NE
Detector(s) used
F70 / ACE 250
I just sold a bunch of 40%ers on Ebay and I got about $44.50 per roll. Granted there are then ebay and paypal and shipping fees. After that is said and done I would say 5:2 is a pretty good ratio. I tried offering them on craigslist for $38/roll and all I got were ridiculous low ball offers.

And as we all know the spot price of silver isn't the same as physical. Spot seems to be catching up but there is still a premium (mostly on 90%) on physical silver. I would say that if you are holding 90% coin silver its hard to go wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread