what to do with my pre-60 nickels?

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys i've got about 30ish rolls of pre-60 s and i kind of want to get rid of them. Ebay is my first thought so what do you think a fair price for them is. Obviously the guys listing them for $9 a roll arent making any money because they arent selling any. I'm thinking a bid starting at $3 per roll and buy it now at $3.99. Do you think this will be sold easily?

Upvote 0

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shipping on 8 ounces (1 roll of nickels + mailer) in a bubble mailer is $2.92 + the cost of the bubble mailer, so lets say $3.00

If you charge exact shipping and start at $3.00 and only get 1 bid you will make 7 cents.

If you offer free shipping and start at $3.00 and only get 1 bid you will lose $2.63

I would rethink the price points in this business model.

OP
OP
B

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shipping on 8 ounces (1 roll of nickels + mailer) in a bubble mailer is $2.92 + the cost of the bubble mailer, so lets say $3.00

If you charge exact shipping and start at $3.00 and only get 1 bid you will make 7 cents.

If you offer free shipping and start at $3.00 and only get 1 bid you will lose $2.63

I would rethink the price points in this business model.

On ebay theprice for the product would be $3 minus $2 ( expense of the coins) and then shipping is charged seperately at $2.50 shipping is the file i downloaded is right. After fees id be making around a $0.75 profit per roll. The way i look at it is that at least its better than face value

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Is .75 cents on 30 rolls really worth all the time your going to put into it?

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On ebay theprice for the product would be $3 minus $2 ( expense of the coins) and then shipping is charged seperately at $2.50 shipping is the file i downloaded is right. After fees id be making around a $0.75 profit per roll. The way i look at it is that at least its better than face value

Let me lay it out for you again since you must think I just pulled my numbers out of thin air. I will use your numbers above to illustrate.

$3.00 final sale price + $2.50 shipping (there are final value fees on shipping charges) = $5.50 collected.

Now subtract $2.00 outlay to acquire the nickels = $3.50 left
Now subtract 55 cents for 10% final value fees of item + shipping charges = $2.95 left
Now subtract 33 cents for paypal fees = $2.62 left
Now subtract $3.00 for shipping the item (8 ounces is $2.92 and about 8 cents for the bubble mailer) = NEGATIVE 38 CENTS

Good luck with your business plan.

SanMartian

Apr 15, 2013
Skunksville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You also may want to think about buying a bulk amount of Whitman coin albums and partially filling them and then selling them that way.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally - I would have to make a minimum $100 profit on Ebay for one hour's work, or it wouldn't be worth it to me.
Therefore, I would just spend them.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally - I would have to make a minimum $100 profit on Ebay for one hour's work, or it wouldn't be worth it to me.
Therefore, I would just spend them.

That's crazy! 0.0 do you ever sell on ebay? Haha

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I agree on the spend / cash. It's always seemed odd to me that people lump nickels by decade. What is a roll of 1939 Jefferson's worth? I'd pay $2.00 and not $0.01 more. What's a role of 1959 Jefferson's worth? I don't know but it's more than the '39. A lot of the dates are collectable and a lot aren't. I'd think if you took a cut off of 20,000,000 minted, maybe even 30 or 40 depending on how you're feeling, but focusing on keeping those more collectable dates and forget collecting them 'pre-60'. I personally don't think there's any money to be made on '39's, '40's, '41's, '46's, '48's, etc.... There are some reasonable dates but really, who wants to buy a roll of pre-60 circulated nickels??? Not trying to be a downer, just my 2 cents.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I sold some rolls of 1940s and 1950s nickels on eBay. I found it only mildly profitable and not worth the hassle.

Because shipping fees take up a lot of your potential buyers' money, I would suggest trying to sell a larger lot.
Try as many nickels that can fit in a small flat rate box.
The shipping fee only doubles

A lot of CRHers save all pre1960 nickels, but that doesn't mean there is much of a market for them.

Last edited:

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm kind of cleaning house on my end. I committed to keeping only ten different nickel year/mintmarks based on a list of nickels that ranked by rarity, and all the 38 and 39 nickels just because they are old. The rest I'm taking to the bank.
I am working on moving my Ikes now that I took some time this weekend and picked out all the varieties. I'll wait on my cents until copper prices go back up.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you have any 1938-D, 1938-S, 1939-D, 1939-S coins in that lot?

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
p7gna[1].jpg

Graceful

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You also may want to think about buying a bulk amount of Whitman coin albums and partially filling them and then selling them that way.

I think this is a good idea! An album partially filled with old coins if going to be intriguing to alot of people :}
Do you have a suggestion on where to buy albums in bulk?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally sit on all mine. I fill up Whitman books for my boys and keep the rest. Maybe when they are a little older they moght be worth a little more. I remember in the early 90s i could buy Indian Head pennies for 10c a piece, and Buffs for a quarter from the Flea Market...Now they are more about a buck a piece...So maybe in 30 years or so the Wheats and Older Nicks will increase in value.

Plus the 10-15 dollars i have isnt that huge a deal being tied up

SanMartian

Apr 15, 2013
Skunksville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As to where to get the albums in bulk, I don't know, you will just have to search the web. I would put about 20 or so in each album and then dump the leftover common dates. Of course you would have to do the math on this and see what your end profit margin would be but I would think it would be considerably more than trying to just sell the rolls individually.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread