What to do with the scrap/trash you detect?

ilovemycows

May 26, 2013
Joshua, Texas
Detector(s) used
ATPro, Garret Ace 250 (my son's), Garrett Pro Pointer(s)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Maburger

May 30, 2013
Southern IN
Detector(s) used
AT Pro ACE 250 and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I separate it after I get quite a bit. I keep all item that our scrap yard accepts, not just items I find while detecting. When I have another reason to go to the big city, I take all my scrap with me. That way I have the gas expense to subtract from the assets. Got $30 last time, doesn't sound like much but it all adds up.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hide my good finds in bag with all the trash i pick up just in case i run into a bureaucrat.

I only separate the good from the trash when i get home.

This also helps when watched or questioned by a treehugger as they see me picking up trash and carrying it out.

I found two F4 Phantom crash sites and have been carrying metal out from them for years aluminum, titanium and the exotic metals used in the turbine engines bring very good money from the right scrap buyers. By the way they are known sites, just remote.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I just went to the scrap yard about a week ago... And got $163.00 so you see save it and then sell it to the scrap yard.. And $51.00 was from aluminum... The rest from scrap metal....

OP
OP
ilovemycows

ilovemycows

May 26, 2013
Joshua, Texas
Detector(s) used
ATPro, Garret Ace 250 (my son's), Garrett Pro Pointer(s)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice. I will continue to fill my scrap bucket. Every little bit helps.....plus we recycle anyway. Judy didn't know if a bucket of scrap would add up to anything.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been sorting and saving mine, so people can see the ratio of junk to good stuff. Some day I'll have to get rid of it, but not for awhile.

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Vibra-Probe 580 and 730.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been giving most of mine to one of my brothers (He does regular scrap runs from stuff he finds or destroys on his farm).

I KEEP about 2lbs+- of it on me (In My finds bag) all the time though. I've got that sucker (My finds bag) full of ancient barbed wire,
broken glass, old, sharp tin can lids, rusty old nails and anything else that looks like it would suck to step on barefoot.

If I'm ever asked what it is I'm doing in a park (By someone who may not appreciate this hobby[?]) I just want to be able to show
them some of the stuff that I'm sparing them and their youngsters 8-)

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been collecting Copper and Brass from Day one....right now i have 2 5 gallon buckets full of scrap...that i plan on taking somewhere one day....just havent gotten to it.

But i do pick up most the trash i can in an area, especailly if i plan on coming back

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread