What To DO?

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
New York State..Vestal, NY
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D
I have been reading alot of what everyone post and I am so confused on what to do, Here is my delima.

First, what is an adequae Metal Dector? I have suggested to my wife to spend no more than 200 on it for my birthday...which is in February.

Second, How do I know what I find is valuable or not? Everyone talks about coins and uses terminolgoy that I am not familiar with. Obviously, if I found a gold coin that is valuable..any suggestions on a book on coins that would be helpful to me would be appreciated.

Third, should I clean it or not? I have found this subject to be vague or best answered on the value of the coin...which I would need to educate myself and I guess that would answer the third question for me.

I am hoping that in time I will be able to connect with someone in my area who has experience and will be willing to take me under their wing. I already have two magazines on the subject and one book with another book on order for me.

Next is getting permission to search on property. I know of a few houses that have fallen in disrepair and would be curious to find who owns the property and how to approach them with my request.

If I start my search in a park should I attempt to get permission or not? I really hope you experienced people can help me out. I can hardly wait to start in the spring and find something. No matter what it is I will share what I find with everyone..My wife says that I am obsessive...I can hardly wait to start!

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Southern.....U have a lot of good questions and I was in your same shoes a few weeks back. Let me tell you....you can research and research the detectors and come to all kinds of conclusions but I decided on getting the Garrett Ace 250....$212 for the machine and quite a few extras to go along with it...On the matter of what the coins are worth...here is a site that I found that was pretty good with the prices....http://www.us-coin-values-advisor.com/old-coin-prices.html
Here is another forum which you can see what others have said about the 250....http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,209.0.html
Btw..I am well satisfied with mine...had it about 3 weeks and found $5.76 in coins in a park and ballfield...and even found a mercury head dime..a first for me..
So good luck and good hunting my friend.

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
My suggestion is also a Garret Ace250. It is easy to use and works very well. FOR THE MONEY(around that $200 mark) it is a great little machine. As far as the rest of your questions, well, take some time and read some of the the vast amount of info on these forums. I am sure you will find more than your share of answers. You will soon see who you can trust and those who are reputable here which is the vast majority. This place is filled with people willing to help others. Ya couldn't have picked a better site to get your answers from. That's for sure.
Happy hunting
~Nash~

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
You will learn the technology in time. I had to ask what 'clad' was... it is anything dated 1965 (I think that is the date) and more current, basically spare change.

Last weekend I went out and got a coin price guide for about 15.00. I found that I liked the book better than checking the web for prices.

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
If I had a $200.00 dollar limit I would either buy an ace 250 or Bounty Hunter 3300 . You can still find the 3300 New In Box in classified ads on some of the treasure hunting websites for less than $200.00 . If you buy the ace new you'll get a 2 year warranty , the 3300 won't have a warranty but it has a lot of features the ace doesn't . If I ever run out of places to detect I'm going to place a small ad in my local paper that goes something like this . Have you lost anything in your yard of value that's made of metal such as rings ,jewelry ect . Man with metal detector will try to find it for you for a reasonable fee or permission to detect your property . Don't know how well this would work but since people are always losing things seems like it might be worth trying . You could also put up posters on local bulletin boards like supermarkets ect . No charge . Good luck with whatever detector you get . Don't listen to all the BH bashers . They make as good of detectors as anyone price for price IMO . HH

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't think anyone was bashing the BH WV....I have a Tracker IV and liked it...just didn't do all I wanted it to do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions