All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I'd take them to a bank you have never used as a dump before. tell them you have some extra rolls (one full box is better. Can you roll 1 roll?) and you want to return it. You got it form your own bank but you were in their area so you are returning it to them.

MOst banks WILL take the coin if still in the plastic Fed rolls. They know they are accurate.

I've done that before. And never had trouble.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had that happen with nickels before. I brought them to a different bank that had boxes that look identical and just traded them one unopened box for another.

The bank did open the box to verify the roll count on me as they had somebody try to cheat them a few years ago by removing a few rolls and doing something similar.

Also if you explain why you want to exchange, it may help your cause.

DesertTumbleweed402

Mar 11, 2008
Chicago
I had a similar problem with a box of dimes, opened up two rolls, found they were the same. When I tried to return the clear, plastic rolls to my dump bank, they refused to take them saying they all had to be loose and I'd have to open them and feed them through the lobby counter. Fifteen minutes and the help of one teller later, we had all the rolls opened up. Talk about a waste of time.

OP
OP
CaptainRobin

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input/suggestions, folks.

I only do dimes when I'm Jonesin' to search, and I edge search dimes for silver only.

I can't see myself louping 5000 dimes looking for errors. No interest in errors.

Sigh.......

Bust 'em down, buy another $500 somewhere else, bust those, bag 'em, and they're gone.

Robin

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
GMan00001 said:
I have had that happen with nickels before. I brought them to a different bank that had boxes that look identical and just traded them one unopened box for another.

The bank did open the box to verify the roll count on me as they had somebody try to cheat them a few years ago by removing a few rolls and doing something similar.

Also if you explain why you want to exchange, it may help your cause.

I've actually done it with a full box of '94d halves. I simply explained the situation (and it was the bank I bought them from) they understood and bought the box back. I recall, since they didn't have any more halves, I used the $500 to buy some other denomination.

Be honest, be upfront; and it usually works out well............and bringing a treat/flowers for the teller wouldn't hurt either. 8)

XX

Jan 11, 2008
CaptainRobin said:
......I can't see myself louping 5000 dimes looking for errors. No interest in errors.......

Don't look for errors that require a loupe. Loof for major errors only like

blank planchets
off center strikes
MAJOR strikethroughs
etc....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread