What to offer?

Sonny01

Sep 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I met a guy while at a bank that has a number of 1890's & 1900's silver dollars that he wants to sell and he knows that the better condition ones are worth more then spot. My problem is he wants me to buy them but I have no experience with buying coins and don't know what to offer. I thought for the run of the mill ones offer spot and the better ones offer spot plus 20% but that is just a total guess on my part. What would you experts do?

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always let the seller begin the negotiations by setting the opening price. That should give you a very good idea on how things are going to go. If you make the first offer, you run the risk of offending the seller with an offer that he/she deems way too low or offering way more than the amount that will buy the item(s) and overpaying. I let the seller name a price and then haggle from there if necessary.

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoever says a price first always looses, let the seller tell you what he wants for them.

OP
OP
S

Sonny01

Sep 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
He's not a teller...just a guy with a bag of newer coins waiting in line to use the coin machine.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Be sure to inspect the coins carefully for fakes. Measure their weight and diameter. Check them with a magnet. Use the Red Book to make sure the design is 100% correct.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the coins are what he says they are, spot or even 20% over spot would be a very good price. Even with the drop in silver prices It is still hard to buy a Morgan for $25, some sellers insist on closer to $30. Ironically, I was doing a better job buying Morgans for $20 and $25 when silver was higher.

OP
OP
S

Sonny01

Sep 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I ended up with buying 7 Barber halves, 1 Walking Liberty and 3 dimes for spot. None were in great shape and I also got a dozen or so mixed coins for cheap. Some were foreign but all were well worn. I'm happy with what I got plus the guy and I talked for maybe 1/2 half hour.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I ended up with buying 7 Barber halves, 1 Walking Liberty and 3 dimes for spot. None were in great shape and I also got a dozen or so mixed coins for cheap. Some were foreign but all were well worn. I'm happy with what I got plus the guy and I talked for maybe 1/2 half hour.

Cant beat the price you paid especially for the barbers those are always sold more than most other halves (walking liberties, bens and rosevelts)

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
S

Sonny01

Sep 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope...just had some old coins he didn't have a use for. He had some dollar coins he wanted to sell but decided to keep them...those were the ones I was really interested in but I don't blame him for keeping them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread