What to power my small experimental electric dredge with? (updated)

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
upgradde

Well here is where my mind took the project

A28_150_Ns.JPG

A-ebay.jpg

inde1x.jpg

http://www.laptopbatteryhq.com/tosh...battery.html?gclid=CNfx8K7jxMsCFUWTfgodRgIAeg
http://www.ampflow.com/three_inch_high_performance_motors.htm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NQD-757-602...d=100012&rk=4&rkt=10&mehot=pp&sd=400920980784

I also happened across several new free energy concepts while figuring it out.
I suggest taking a look at nitinol memory metal and heat producing water hammer engines on youtube for more on that.

You can send me a completed unit to field test :laughing7:

***From the creators of the of the radar scattering, powder coated, camoflaged sluice box. Now comes the over unity, free energy, underwater fluid bed 4" backpack dredge!*** Providing unlimited voltage potential for all your aquatic needs. :laughing7:

Last edited:

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok... So if a bilge pump won't work. What happening here then? Cause I'm confused.

It seems like for all the effort to haul equipment off the grid someone would be interested in moving a lot more material than a pump like that. I have a couple of them and they probably couldn't lift a pennyweight off the bottom:) I watched the video and wasn't sold that his system was moving any real material.

Batteries alone are not always the best option as that's about all you can power maybe something slightly bigger, even then you have the recharging logistics and I assume we are talking about power off the grid at a claim somewhere. Solar panels are obv an option to charge batteries but still you are left with just enough power to run battery powered small equipment assuming the panels can even keep up and weather cooperates. Plus batteries and chargers are heavy and if you are going to haul a heavy portable power setup it may make more sense to consider a micro hydro-electric setup as they put out so much more power.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/grid-...-the-home-an-alternative-to-the-alternatives/

http://www.motherearthnews.com/renewable-energy/hydroelectric-power-systems.aspx

Quote from one of the article:

"A micro-hydroelectric system is relatively simple. A miniature version of what can be found at Hoover Dam or Niagara Falls, a home hydroelectric set-up will consist of pipes to carry water, a generator with a rotating turbine and blades, an inverter, and an electric transmission and control system to carry the power produced to where it can be used to provide energy."

Biggest issue with this idea would probably be permission to set one up. Probably illegal here in Ca as it's highly illegal to even walk your dog off of it's leash; throwing a ball and bonding with 'mans best friend' at a park or beach around here could get you hard time at San Quentin:) But we are a neutered state and it's probably okay in other places as it has no impact when implemented on a micro scale as you are just running water through a hose over a drop.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like for all the effort to haul equipment off the grid someone would be interested in moving a lot more material than a pump like that. I have a couple of them and they probably couldn't lift a pennyweight off the bottom:) I watched the video and wasn't sold that his system was moving any real material.

Batteries alone are not always the best option as that's about all you can power maybe something slightly bigger, even then you have the recharging logistics and I assume we are talking about power off the grid at a claim somewhere. Solar panels are obv an option to charge batteries but still you are left with just enough power to run battery powered small equipment assuming the panels can even keep up and weather cooperates. Plus batteries and chargers are heavy and if you are going to haul a heavy portable power setup it may make more sense to consider a micro hydro-electric setup as they put out so much more power.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/grid-...-the-home-an-alternative-to-the-alternatives/

http://www.motherearthnews.com/renewable-energy/hydroelectric-power-systems.aspx

Quote from one of the article:

"A micro-hydroelectric system is relatively simple. A miniature version of what can be found at Hoover Dam or Niagara Falls, a home hydroelectric set-up will consist of pipes to carry water, a generator with a rotating turbine and blades, an inverter, and an electric transmission and control system to carry the power produced to where it can be used to provide energy."

Biggest issue with this idea would probably be permission to set one up. Probably illegal here in Ca as it's highly illegal to even walk your dog off of it's leash; throwing a ball and bonding with 'mans best friend' at a park or beach around here could get you hard time at San Quentin:) But we are a neutered state and it's probably okay in other places as it has no impact when implemented on a micro scale as you are just running water through a hose over a drop.

Lol...I'm just trying to not get caught. Anything other then electric isn't going work here in Kali and isnt an option im looking at. Needs to be quite and lightweight. Besides the battery how hard is it to carry around a plastic nozzle and a small bilge pump?

Probably only one way to know for sure and that means another DIY projects. Currently have a few ahead in line so this will have to wait.. but it won't be waiting long... not much to lose and a whole lot to gain!

Last edited:

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lol...I'm just trying to not get caught. Anything other then electric isn't going work here in Kali and isnt an option im looking at. Needs to be quite and lightweight. Besides the battery how hard is it to carry around a plastic nozzle and a small bilge pump?

Haha yeah it's mostly a suggestion for those out of state or for those who hadn't thought of it. The batteries are pretty heavy I have a full size marine battery that's a nightmare to carry/hike in. They do make smaller batteries though which I didn't realize at the time;) that are probably half the weight maybe 20lbs? I would also suggest picking up an extra bilge pump for 20-30 bucks as I had one break after dragging my setup 4 miles down a river one time:)

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been looking into all of this myself for quite a while now. They make a 4700gph bilge that I think would be enough to power a 2" nozzle. The thing eats like 14amps so you would need a lot of battery to run it. Would only be ideal imo for bedrock crevise work being 2". Haven't been able to bring myself to pull the trigger but have been close. I have the batteries already... I think it could work in the right application.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sistered a 3500 and a 1200 pump together and they work just fine. I wouldn't use it to lift too much bit it has plenty of suck at the tip. It is being built for a special spot and will connected to a custom built subbie. Powering it will be the key

ratled

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sistered a 3500 and a 1200 pump together and they work just fine. I wouldn't use it to lift too much bit it has plenty of suck at the tip. It is being built for a special spot and will connected to a custom built subbie. Powering it will be the key

ratled

Good to know thanks! I have the perfect location for it and the water is only max 1ft deep, mostly just puddles on indentations in the bedrock so lift wouldnt be and issue. Was thinking I could put the bilge upstream and a bucket downstream to catch the material and either pan or run through my zooka or even just feed into the zook, would hopefully aid the flow/lift doing it this way im thinking..

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think it's gonna work. Using it at a place where you would normally sluice. Operating Ina ft of water and pumping it downhill(they key) right into a fluid bed, just like the video. Now see if you were to try and go larger you'd need a partner to tend the box. But if your only pulling with a small nozzle with a bar thingy to keep out bigger stuff you won't have to tend the box much and could operate solo. That's my goal.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tons of awesome information in here, now for my 2 cents about bilge pumps. :D

This was just screwing around in the bathtub to see what I could put together.

Parts

Two 1000gph Harbor Freight 12v bilge pumps
One Keene 2.5" Power nozzle
Two pairs of thick wire leads
One Craftsman 19.2v battery from my 1/2" impact
One Craftsman 14.4v battery from my drill
Some clear PVC hose and a PVC T and caps to join it all together

The suction was substantial and able to blow water out the back like a fire hose.

I have no idea how my gph the pumps had from overvolting to 14.4 and 19.2 volts and I don't know how long they would last, but pressure was increased quite a bit.
I should also mention that even though one was getting more power than the other, there was no blowback out of the 14.4 pump and was still bringing in a lot of water through the base.

Now its not gold but the nozzle picked up coins and bolts with ease in my highly scientific closed lab - The Bathroom. :)

If these pumps can handle 19.2v for any amount of time then it would be worth doing.
I was not able to do longer tests because the battery ran down pretty quickly and the pumps came through just fine.

Now being that we are generally the tinkering type, build them all. :)
I have been wanting to buy one of the Utility pumps for a while now.

I can say though, don't bother with trying to make your own power nozzle out of PVC, just buy the real deal and work around that.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread