What type of detector

SERT_1998

Aug 31, 2010
I used a pinpointer for the first time the other day and loved it. I need one that will pinpointer that will do its job without having to actually touching the item. It needs to be water resistant as well for beach combing and inclement weather. I looked at a kellyco Auto max Precision V.4, it appears to fit the bill and it is 89.00 dollars. What do you think. I am also new to the metal detecting business as well. Thanks in advance.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The auto max V4 has a ton of people that hate it. If you go to the tool shed forum you will see a whole thread on it. Im not sure about finding a water proof one. Maybe some others will chime in. I think if I were you Id stay away from the V4. JMO. :thumbsup:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you've been reading recent posts, you may have seen the recent STRONG opinions on the Garrett pinpointer, both for and against. I know it is a good machine. I own a Vibra-probe (w'proof, PI). I use it so much I no longer can read the model number 570 or 580, I believe. Both are good. I cannot comment on the one you are considering as, unlike a few recent opinions on items never tried, I don't want to embarrass myself. Check out the vendors that support T-net, check out the posts, then decide. (I would've made a GREAT politician.... all these words and I said nothing at all). TTC

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The Sun-ray in-line probes are the most superior.

But on the beach, you really don't even need a pinpointer, to begin with. I mean, if you're digging with your sandscoop, the simple "X marks the spot" with your detector coil will get it close enough, since sand-scoops make it quick and wide. The only time the probes help, is for things like turf, where you have to be careful and limit your incisions. When you've cut your plug, the probe tell you which way to proceed. Ie.: "a little more to the left" or "a hair deeper" etc....

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Pinpointers

I use the Cen-Tech pinpointer, costs about $20 from Harbor Freight.com. You do not have to touch the coin to get it to sound off, but the range is about a little under to a little over 1". It sounds off on the tip & also the bottom 1" or so of the sides so it does often help me know if I got it out or if it is a little deeper or off to one side.

It seems water resistant, the only place water might get in is around the sensitivity adjustment, pointed down when in hole or you could carry it pointed down or carry in pocket.

I've had mine maybe 2 years & think I might still be on the first battery. I guess the only thing I miss is a vibraration or other silent form of detection. I don't know if I could be charged with a noise violation, or if someone could get nasty & say the noise bothers them. I don't know how far the sound can be heard.

Sure a Sunray probe is better but a huge difference in cost & will add 11oz to a detector that may already be bordering on too heavy. Of course for about $40 one can buy a Swingy Thingy bungee harness if too heavy.

Without even using one I can say the Automax has the disadvantage of being too big to fit in pocket. I've never seen anyone besides Kellyco selling them new, I wonder why?

Yeah, the Garrett may get you a fraction of an inch deeper, besides having an extra feature or two. If that's worth an extra hundred or so to you, go for it.

If you wanted to spend over $150, you could get a Tesoro Treauremate pin-pointer with lifetime warranty. Or for something like $300 the Pocket Uniprobe.

I don't want to tell you what to buy but just offer these tidbits of info to help you decide for yourself. Best wishes, George (MN)

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Automax V4 from Kellyco and it works. The target has to be very close, if not touching the front of the pointer for the alarm to sound. The probe seems rather flimsy to me, I am a little fearful of breaking it if used to move dirt with any fervor. I now own a Garrett Pro Pointer and it is a much more substantial machine, hands down! It is much sturdier built. The best part of the Garrett is its' ability to target objects 2 - 4 " away from the trip. Not to throw salt in the wound, but, I think you got stung on the Automax.........I paid $25 for mine, of course, I bought a locator, as well.

How long have you had it? Maybe they will take it back in trade for the pro pointer. You wouldn't regret the change.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Auto max Precision V.4 Noooooooooooooooooo Go ahead and put it i the water and it will stop working!!! also do not use it in any way other than a pinpointer do not use it to dig probe or otherwise!! mine lasted two weeks before i destroyed it!!!!! it is not waterproof or a light digging tool!!! HH chug either is the one from harbor freight I'm on my third one( the weak point in this one is the switch leave the cover on at all timed!!! to keep out the dirt!!!!!!! Chug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread