rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every once in a while I find this type of rock. It isnt flaky at all and might be marble (maybe). I do find white quartz in the area if that helps with the ID on it and its redish brown. Found in N Ga near the mountains. Thank you, rock 100_2093.JPG 100_2094.JPG 100_2095.JPG

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, maybe if you come across another chunk of that stuff, you might do some tests on it. I must say, I've often been happily surprized to find that the inside of a rock is way different from the outside. In my area, I'm surrounded by water/beach environments where all the rocks have oxidised- just like your flint- being so different as it ages. (imagin how increadible that game ball looked when it was new and gleeming). Breaking rock- to me- helps understand whether a rock was imported or local. Some of the material around here doesn't look at all like the points I find, but when I break rock, I find that it is, in fact, local. Light peach-colored rock breaks open to be red or dark brown. Pale grey rock breaks open to black interiors. I would not know that unless I did a little 'damage'. I would have (wrongly) assumed they were trading for or importing rock from some dinstance. Keep in mind too, that no one would have ever found a geod if they didn't break some rocks!
Cheers mate!
Yak

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Haven't been able to locate any quartzite. But I did find some felsic rock. (probably an altered rhyolite - guessing here)
Just thought it might be of interest for you, it resembles something you posted. Just not sure which topic.

If cut and polished it might look like this:
2_zps2bdd641b.jpg

Here is a rough specimen:
newcabbs002.jpg

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a great-looking polished piece, Citizen. The big hunk looks a little more fine-grained then the Op's rock.
Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang that looks really nice. It really looks good after it is polished. I believe that is close to what I have. I collect red rocks that I find in the same places I find NA artifacts. I picked up another one on Friday when I was hunting a farmers field. I believe the Indians admired the red rocks and found them to be special. I havent found any made to Artifacts as of yet in my area just the rocks in natural state.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Jim. :) Yeppers, it is a bit more fine grained.
But I think rock gets the idea, the big honker is just an older pic I digged out rather then taking a new one.

Rock, yes they can look very nice! ;)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions