diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A battery charger with a 6 volt/12 volt switch and an amperage switch with a 2amp/6 amp position and a manual charge position switch is optimum. These are hard to find. You could use a 6 volt/2 amp combination but you have to buy a second charger to get a 6 volt/6 amp setting. You will use the 6volt/2 amp setting for normal cleaning and the 6 volts/6 amps setting for initial cleaning of heavily encrusted iron. It is a slow process you can't "hurry" years of rust etc. off in a matter of a few hours.

teddy

Nov 7, 2009
Like stated above, the car battery charger is best.

I clean everything from tiny ancient coins to 6' long crosscut saw blades with it.

The car charger is fast only wear rubber gloves when you put your hands into the bath to retrieve the zapped object. The chemical reaction from the stainless steel (current flows from the object to the stainless steel) is not good for your skin. In other words, it's toxic. Dispose of it wisely.

Mostly I use a 5 gal. bucket. For super big objects dig a trench and line it with heavy plastic. Set object on bricks so it's off the plastic liner.

Always use Baking Soda when making the bath solution. It doesn't foul nearly as fast as salt.

I set my charger on full 12 volt power max. amps. It can do a dug penny in about 1 minute.

teddy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread