What waders to get for shallow water

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will be going into cold freshwater right after ice out. I am interested in waders and would be using a chest belt and manual inflate life vest. I don't want a wet suit because of price and don't want to freeze my butt of changing into and out of it while standing in the open out in the cold.

My question is do I get neoprene waders or non neoprene waders? Stocking foot or the kind with the boot on? Can you layer with clothes under the waders to stay warm? As you can tell I'm a newbie at water hunting. Any help would be appreciated!

Upvote 0

Jdett411

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got chest high neo waders with the boot type. Ive been out in the water along with the ice and completely warm. I just wear a pair of normal long John pants under them.

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jdett411, what thickness are your waders? 3mm or 5mm?

Jdett411

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe they're 5mm. They're so warm now even while around ice that im thinking maybe i shouldve gone with 3mm cause spring/summer they might be too warm. You definite want the boot type. I would think the stocking type would hurt your feet from pushing on the scoop for hours.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Being one of those fools that goes Steelhead fishing in the dead of Winter, I've
spent a lot of time in insulated chest waders in 20º weather. Tried a lot ways
to stay warm, but found that with these 5mm waders and sweats underneath
that I was comfortable down to near -0-.

I would be cautious about sweating too much if you are active, but keep in mind
you can always take the shoulder straps loose, roll the top down to your waist, and
wrap the shoulder straps around your waist. Now you've got waist high protection
from all elements, and your upper body will breathe better. Less chance of sweat,
so less chance of hypothermia.

Overall, these were the toughest waders I've had yet, and so far they've lasted
5 seasons.

Amazon.com: Men's Lacrosse Super Tuff WP Chest Waders CAMO 13 M: Sports & Outdoors

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
First set, neoprene Redheads.....Boot foot, killed me....700 thinsulated, 2 seasons, gave them away to a friend that hunts......Hodgeman Wadlites, with boots...i liked them because i could dress as needed and stay warm. And I could throw a set of hot hands in the boots and my feet would be toasty the full hunt....They lasted 3 years................... Got my second set this year, allen boot foot, I forgot to check but these are thinsulated and heavier(250) I can do 5 hours in them but they are a workout. I'm keeping them but they will be for the extreme..And going to try stocking foot. I have a couple drysuits, the best, but the waders are quick, in and out...and the stocking foot seems to be less restrictive that is like the drysuits. ....If you get bootfoot, get no thinsulation...much easier on the legs...Good Luck and your 100% on the belt and M/PFD

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been using Reddington Crosswater waders for three seasons in the Atlantic and Long Island Sound. Nice neoprene bootie that you can slip a beach shoe over, and wear jeans or sweatpants and longjohns with. I use two wading belts, one at the waist, and one upper chest. Redington Crosswater Fly Fishing Wader : AvidMaxOutfitters.com

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine or from LL Bean when they wear out I go back and get a free new pair or upgrade and pay the diffrence(100% lifetime guarantee keep your reciet)!!!!!

SnT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread