Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent the last three days at my son's house babysitting my granddaughter while he worked during spring break. I took her to the local park just up the street from their house and let her metal detect with me until she lost interest. She was more interested in climbing trees and exploring along a jogging trail that runs through the park. The park is located in a very nice part of town where there is a lack of hooligans and gang activity and normally very safe. Anyway, as we were scanning the chips, I came upon this gun part. Having owned several semi-auto pistols I know it is a safety/takedown part that functions to hold the slide, barrel and recoil spring on the frame of the gun. It appears to be from a small caliber, probably chrome plated. I can't imagine why in the world someone would be dropping gun parts in a child's play area? If they tried to fire it with this part missing it could prove disastrous. If it would even fire, it would fly apart in the shooter's hand with hot gasses spewing everywhere and the slide assembly would either fly back into the shooter's face or it would go sailing down range. Most likely the slide would not lock up and the cartridge case would rupture probably throwing out hot particles of brass. I didn't find any maimed humans laying about so I must assume it was merely dropped. Just a very unusual find. Oh, yes, my granddaughter found eleven cents! Monty

Attachments

• gun part 001.jpg
    gun part 001.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 578
Upvote 0

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
I know what you mean.
I can't believe the number of bullets and knives I've found in tot lots.
No gun parts yet but it wouldn't surprise me.
I also find lots of condom wrappers and beer cans, bottles and caps.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Monty,

sounds like a nice day in the park for you
and the granddaughter.

Heck with the photo of your gun part ;)

Lets see the granddaughter and her eleven cents ;) ;D

Hope you did not take the eleven cents for your
new detector fund ;D :) :D

have a good un......................
SHERMANVILLE

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
TXTim said:
I know what you mean.
I can't believe the number of bullets and knives I've found in tot lots.
No gun parts yet but it wouldn't surprise me.
I also find lots of condom wrappers and beer cans, bottles and caps.

I can throw in a reason for some of the bullets(in my area anyway). I'm a very active shooter/reloader. I often time sift the dirt from my backstop in order to reclaim the lead for casting. It never fails that my kids see a certain bullet that strikes their fancy. Naturally, I let them have it. It is usually lost before the week is out.

Please, no speeches on "Lead Poisoning".

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, here's a picture of my granddaughter, but I don't have a pic of the eleven cents! Monty

Attachments

• DSC00545.JPG
    DSC00545.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 357

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
hopefully some kid didn't get into his dads guns, and show them to his friends in the park. :'( on a brighter note, your granddaughter is a real cutie! its good to see you getting out. winter is still not quite done with us here yet. maybe next weekend. ::)

B

BIG61AL

Monty you did a real service. You rendered a deadly weapon non-operational for some one that obviously has no business with a fire arm. If that person would take a gun part into a play area they would take an loaded one there too. Don't get me wrong I am pro gun but not for everyone. Some people can't be trusted even with a pointed stick.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Al, as things are going, whoever owns the rest of the gun will probably turn it in on one of those turn in your gun and get a reward deals, or blow their own face off. But seriouisly most auto pistols won't fire when not in battery and it can't lock up with that part missing.
I looked around but didn't see any other gun parts laying around. And I have found a lot of bullets in the playgrounds, especially if they have sand instead of chips. Kinda' like someone is test firing a new weapon? I haven't found any hypodermic needles but I avoid parks located in areas where I would expect to find them. I use to find more of them in vacant houses than anywhere else. Oh well...Monty

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
It could be too that people are using the place where the city get the sand as a firing range. Maybe they dropped that piece while cleaning and it got picked up with the next load of sand. ???

And yes, we can see she's got grandpa wrapped around her little finger. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread