๐Ÿ”Ž UNIDENTIFIED What was the purpose for this iron artifact?

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The iron artifact pictured below was found near where a frame home had been built in the 1830s-40s. It is possible that an early 1800s cabin stood nearby. Today there are just mounds of back fill left over from when the frame home was re-located in 1996. Other artifacts found range in age from a 3-tine fork (circa 1800s), possibly part of a mortise lock, a kerosene lamp burner patented on April 30, 1883, and 3 wheat pennies (1940 oldest) to name a few 1940.

This iron artifact is a real puzzler to me and everyone Iโ€™ve shown it to. I thought it could be part of a stove, buggy step, or a tricycle seat โ€“ but doubtful. In fact, I'm not even sure which side view is right side up - so show both. What do you think its purpose and age are?

Attachments

• Unidentified top.jpg
    Unidentified top.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Unidentified top 2.jpg
    Unidentified top 2.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Unidentified side 1a.jpg
    Unidentified side 1a.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Unidentified side 2.jpg
    Unidentified side 2.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 77
  • Unidentified side - 1b.jpg
    Unidentified side - 1b.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost looks like a buggy step.
Ohiogoldfever, that was one of my guesses. I'll keep looking at those and maybe find a match. BTW, do you pan for gold in Ohio? Some had been found nears Owensville in Clermont County. My dad and I panned for a day back in the 70s and found a few flakes in the black sand.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for your suggestions. I've been looking at them the past few days and not finding anything close yet. Will let this stew for awhile and re-attack later in the season.

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wouldn't a stove flu be circular, with a pivot pin to adjust the opening?
Iโ€™m no expert. It came to mind because it is designed to be adjusted, as if the handle would fit in a series of notches.

Upvote 1

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My best SWAG would be some sort of fixed hinge. the sharp point driven into a post. the opposing door would have some sort of tab to fit thru that eyelet on the end to perhaps secure it shut. looks smithy forged, very cool find

Upvote 1
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iโ€™m no expert. It came to mind because it is designed to be adjusted, as if the handle would fit in a series of notches.
I think what Sandog is describing is a damper. The reason I'm shying away from a cast iron stove component, is that the pieces of those I found in the past have been thick. The piece of metal on this artifact that has partially rusted away is about the thickness of sheet metal on a car.

Upvote 0

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best SWAG would be some sort of fixed hinge. the sharp point driven into a post. the opposing door would have some sort of tab to fit thru that eyelet on the end to perhaps secure it shut. looks smithy forged, very cool find
Good idea. Maybe half of a gate or door latch. The loop could be for a finger pull.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a pic of the bottom. The badly rusted thin metal plate is held in by some tabs along the edges.

Attachments

• Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    722.7 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread