What was your first detector?

mcdpoor

Mar 14, 2009
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250
Just wanted to get this forum going and I thought this might be fun and informative..

My first detector was a kit from Radio shack back in the early 70's It had a square coil that you could actually see the copper wire on the outside. My first real detector was a Garrett American I bought(15.00) used probably in the mid 70's(I still have it).

Bat2Way

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 | ACE 250 | Master Hunter CX Plus
An old hand-me-down White's CM which took a ton of batteries. Just never could get along with it.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
WW2 mine detector in 1962. Found some gold field relics with it. Next was a home built BFO in 64 that I ended up tossing of a cliff; It was that bad.
30 detectors later I am still looking for that perfect machine. :tongue3:

Adrian SS

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.....Mine was a Garrett BFO Sidewinder back in 1970.......I bought a Mint condition duplicate of it years later that I still have..............I think that it would still be competitive if we had Septic Tank Lid's Hunts........LOL...........Joe

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
The first detector I ever used was a loaner, a White's Coinmaster IV. The first I ever owned was a White's 66-TR in 1972.

Another memorable machine was my first discriminator, an A. H. Electronics Pro purchased in 1974.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Mine was a kit my dad got and put together for me. It had a tape recording reel for the coil and wood dowel for the shaft and an old first aid box held the board. I actually found some stuff with it. After about 6 months I moved up to a metrotech. I still have both machines.

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHITES 5000 D SERIS 2 GOOD MACHINE.

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett Deepseeker ADS, 1980. :icon_thumright:

Handy toggle switch choosing between ALL METAL and non-motion DISCRIMINATION.

Keeping the toggle switch pressed (2 seconds or so) would de-tune the detector making pinpointing very accurate. A great design!

Thank you Charles Garrett! :icon_thumright:

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
chirper97 said:
Garrett Deepseeker ADS, 1980. :icon_thumright:

Handy toggle switch choosing between ALL METAL and non-motion DISCRIMINATION.

Well made machine, 6 D cells got expensive.

....Chirper97......I still use my ADS DeepSeeker and it takes 6 nine volt batteries not D Cells................these days one could purchase the NiCads......but the Alkaline Batteries seem to be good enough for me....................HH......Joe

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....Chirper97......I still use my ADS DeepSeeker and it takes 6 nine volt batteries not D Cells................these days one could purchase the NiCads......but the Alkaline Batteries seem to be good enough for me....................HH......Joe

Yep, you're right! Those nine volt cells were pretty expensive at the time, before the days of Sam's Club and Walmart; D cells would have been WAY too heavy! Thanks for the correction.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's 6000D. Still have it in case I'd like a BFO. But I gotta admit I haven't used it for many years.

Lotta bucks at the time..................

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.......I guess that a lot of people do not know but back in the late 1960's and early 1970's the top of the line detectors cost like $250.00 to $300.00 which was more than a lot of us could afford back then.......I had to go 50/50 with my dad and we thought that $140.00 plus tax was a lot back then.....maybe that is why I like to collect the older vintage detectors.....these were all new during my youth....and were all on my wish list.....I could not afford them then but I can now..........MERRY CHRISTMAS JOE

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bum Luck said:
White's 6000D. Still have it in case I'd like a BFO. But I gotta admit I haven't used it for many years.

Lotta bucks at the time..................

1981, I painted 10 rooms of an 'adult' motel in Skykomish Washington, to get the $$ to pay for my White's 6000D.

The fringe benefits were free boarding and adult movies. The rub was that I had to call the elderly motel manager (or his wife), and request a specific movie. :tongue3:

That 6000D was sure pretty. :icon_thumright:

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mcdpoor said:
Just wanted to get this forum going and I thought this might be fun and informative..

My first detector was a kit from Radio shack back in the early 70's It had a square coil that you could actually see the copper wire on the outside. My first real detector was a Garrett American I bought(15.00) used probably in the mid 70's(I still have it).

Same one you had, my Father, and I put it together...You could find a car at about 3 inches...LOL.....First real detector was a Whites 5500D Series 3.....It was stolen out of my car, had it for years, and loved the old thing.........I found many a coin with it back in the day.......Loved the meter it had......Had a Garrett Deepseeker for awhile, a CXII also, but the old Whites was my favorite one........

zaweiss

Nov 14, 2006
Park Hills, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
White's Coinmaster I (1994)

This was one of Whites coinmaster series which had I, II, III.

I bought it used for $128

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread