What was your first find?

Neildo85

Feb 19, 2014
Southern ILL
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 1500 (inherited from grandpa)
Marksman(cheap gift from wife)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a third generation Metal Detector enthusiast who is new to this site. When I started detecting a few years back my very first find(between a modern road and old roadbed) was a Budweiser can from the 70's. Only slightly discouraged I ventured down into the old roadbed. In there I went on to find my first horseshoe and two zinc jar lids with the broken glass seals still inside. That was my very first day of detecting and since I have dug in my local park (an old railroad depot) and found LOTS of railroad spikes and plates, I also found a weird, small, handmade hammer with a bolt for a head welded onto a steel rod. Sorry no pictures on any of this but I'm at work. I will post some in the future. Have a great day!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net!
I do believe my first "dug" find was a bottle cap! But before that my truly first find is yet a mystery! Lol! I was so excited to try out my detector which arrived at work, that I went out in the paved parking lot and detected, got a signal but couldn't dig it up! It is still there!
Looking forward to seeing your finds pics! GL. HH!

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me was probably a nail. My first collection of finds consisted of about 4 pennies, piece of wire, few nails, rusty strap of iron and a slug of melted aluminum...probably from pop cans in the fire.

mope540

Jun 29, 2011
Yonder
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, X1 probe, SEF 8X6 coil.

AT Gold, 5X8 coil, Garrett PP

Equinox 800, 6" coil

Oldest coin to date...1829 large cent
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't remember my first find....but the first find with the newly purchased E-Trac was a clad quarter

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first find was a memorial cent... My first good find was a Ypsilanti Michigan Bank Token from the 30's or 40's. I was totally hooked after that.

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

frostdigger

Jan 1, 2013
Col. Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350, Garrett AT pro, Garrett AT gold, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First finds where at the wife's grandparents house. Dug a bunch of rusty pieces of cans and then found a 1911 barber dime. Never looked back.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Square nail.

Bought the detector because I was walking to my excavator one morning and kicked up a penny, put it in my pocket and worked till lunch.
When I finally looked at it I was puzzled, never had seen a penny like it before. It was a Flying eagle. So I was hooked before I bought the detector.

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first find was my wife. Bought a detector and went to a park to try it out. Before finding anything a young lady asked me what I was doing. I married her later.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first find was my wife. Bought a detector and went to a park to try it out. Before finding anything a young lady asked me what I was doing. I married her later.

Durn.. THAT is a good detecting story! Kinda makes my find seem,,,,,, puny. Congrats!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What can I say?

Attachments

• hitr.jpg
    hitr.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 55

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first find was a 1865 2cent piece and an 1865 IH in the same hole, I bought my first detector to detect an old church campground that ran from 1859 to 1905 that we learned about in school that was just a few miles from where I went to school. I didn't even know what the 2cent piece when I first found it, my wife said what did you find and I said I'm not sure but its really old and cool. I was hooked from that point on and there's still some there I'm sure but haven't been back for a while as there's a lot of places that are full of iron from where the buildings burnt down and you get overloads all the time but I'm sure if someone would take the time to clean out all the iron and melted blobs of metal there's probably some good coins still to be had. I got most of the easier targets away from the trashy area's and found about 30 old coins and tokens, the best one was a 1876 seated quarter that looks almost new and I've pulled four 2cent piece's out of there. HH

Last edited:

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first find was a pull tab. But I have found some pretty neat stuff since.

OP
OP
N

Neildo85

Feb 19, 2014
Southern ILL
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 1500 (inherited from grandpa)
Marksman(cheap gift from wife)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stories everyone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions